Parents Coaching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Teach her the "smile and nod"...it is much better than trying to argue with some of the idiots she'll run into. (My DD had an umpire start giving her advice after she struck out 15.)

She just looks at the guy offering the advice with great big eyes and a smile and says, "Do it like this?" She does it once, then goes back to the way she was doing it.

Dec 28, 2008
Sluggers that's too funny. I guess the umpires thoughts were "you could have struck them out in less pitches if you did it like this instead" or "you could have humiliated the other team even more if you did it like this."

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
two nights ago I saw an assistant coach showing each player how to "hit line drives" by swinging down on the ball. He was doing this right before they would get up to bat!. If a kid got a hit he would yell out "See? See, it works, doesn't it?!!!"
I asked DD about it afterward and she assured me she just smiled, nodded, and paid no attention.

Feb 8, 2009
If parents wish to spend their money foolishly, then more power to them. I know coaches that are better at selling themselves than teaching the game. I guess if you offer free lessons , what you teach has no value. I admire those who do it because they love working with kids, in the hope they'll improve. That does NOT mean because you get paid for lessons, you are exploiting parents. But, there are plenty of instructors/coaches out there who have an inflated opinion of themselves. They have no more to offer than the average joe.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2