Parent drama.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
What kind of drama?

Good question. To me, there's a big difference between questioning the HC during a game about playing time or talking smack about a particular player vs. saying something like, "the left side of the field makes a lot of errors" when that is, in fact, true. Are parents NEVER supposed to take notice or comment (even quietly) about errors or obviously inequitable playing time (some players are benched after one error while others seem permitted unlimited errors without being benched)? What is the particular situation here?

Feb 13, 2018
Let's say, parent actively trying to recruit players for another team's tryouts. Texting other parents on the team saying "this other team has much better coaching and your girls will learn more/go further" talking to other parents about how they are unhappy with things and don't feel as though they are getting their money's worth...things like that

Sep 29, 2014
Let's say, parent actively trying to recruit players for another team's tryouts. Texting other parents on the team saying "this other team has much better coaching and your girls will learn more/go further" talking to other parents about how they are unhappy with things and don't feel as though they are getting their money's worth...things like that
This sounds completely standard

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA

I don't know; I have mixed feelings. As a parent, I would say that it depends on what time of year you're talking about. If they're doing this in the middle of the season, that's one thing. But as we're approaching the end of summer and tryouts for the 2019-2020 year, your contract with them is about to be up and some may be unhappy and looking for a change. In which case you won't have to worry about them next season, so you know, whatever. I mean, people are allowed to be unhappy. Has the parent's child gotten the playing time or played the position promised when undertaking the contract to join your team? Has benching of players for errors been equitable? Or is it simply wanting to move up the ladder (in their perception) to a better team?

Just think about what they could be displeased about. Are you picking up non-rostered players and playing them more than rostered players who have paid full fare? Because that really tends to tick parents off (trust me on this).

If you want to be strict about it, call the parent personally and ask what's up. Have a conversation and listen. If you feel they are stirring things up purposefully, then go ahead and tell them now that they should be looking around for next season. But I don't think I'd cut someone in mid-July when the season's over at the end of the month unless it's something really egregious.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I am trying to understand this. So, a player/parent from your team is trying to run off other players from your team? They do so by putting down the coaching and future opportunities of those who stay on your team as opposed to going to this other team?

It sounds like they are leaving your team. If so, it is very simple to take the high road, have parent meetings, address what you have heard as rumors, tell the parents your vision for the team going forward and let them know that you value their support and are looking forward to the next season.

Feb 13, 2018
I am trying to understand this. So, a player/parent from your team is trying to run off other players from your team? They do so by putting down the coaching and future opportunities of those who stay on your team as opposed to going to this other team?
It sounds like they are leaving your team. If so, it is very simple to take the high road, have parent meetings, address what you have heard as rumors, tell the parents your vision for the team going forward and let them know that you value their support and are looking forward to the next season.

Well, kind of. She said they weren't sure what they were doing for next year then told me they would play if it didn't work out with the new team forming that she wanted to try out for....then text and said she is planning on playing the fall.....which I didnt really offer as an option to only play the fall and not next year but I think that's only because she is concerned they won't have enough players to fill a team.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Well, kind of. She said they weren't sure what they were doing for next year then told me they would play if it didn't work out with the new team forming that she wanted to try out for....then text and said she is planning on playing the fall.....which I didnt really offer as an option to only play the fall and not next year but I think that's only because she is concerned they won't have enough players to fill a team.

So tell her that the contract is for the whole year and there is no "only fall" option. I know we had to pay in four installments (with full payment required by Feb.) and none was refundable.

May 29, 2015

No. No. No. Did I mention “NO”? That behavior stops now.

If you have reached the end of the season they have paid for, cut the cord YESTERDAY. The parent has already made the decision to leave, but is trying to keep you as a back-up plan. In the mean time, the parent has already poisoned the well with other players. Just because your mistress kicks you out doesn’t mean you get to go back home to your wife. ;)

My advice is to schedule a team meeting with all the other parents. Just before, call this parent and advise her the team is moving on without her daughter. Wish them well and ask her politely not to be interfering with the rest of the team. You can’t stop that, but you can express your disappointment in that behavior.

Then have your team meeting with the rest of the parents and explain the situation. Do not give that parent time to contact the other parents first. Find out if there are any lingering issues you need to work on. But be firm that you are not going to tolerate the behavior this parent exhibited. Be understanding and supportive if your team is not the right fit for a player and that player wants to move on, but let them know what you expect for your team.

That’s what I would do. :)

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse