Parent Coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 21, 2017
Our local little league used to hold district wide clinics for coaches. All coaches (new or returning) were asked to attend each year, but it wasn't mandatory. What I typically found is that myself and three other coaches attended every one for the 5 years I was involved. Beyond that very few coaches ever attended. I personally found the first one to be helpful. After that I didn't learn much from the clinic itself, but it did give me the opportunity to pick the brains of some coaches that were at it a lot longer than I had been. I learned quite a bit that way. Unfortunately, many of the other coaches didn't feel it was important enough to attend.

This, same in our local league...exactly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
yes, we are all pretty much on the same page. I tell other coaches and parents about DFP but very few, if any, can be bothered to learn something. it's really too bad because there are some good, athletic kids out there who can't do travel and rec and school ball aren't where they need to be ending their softball journeys.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
In southwest of Chicago, need to search it. I have not been in a one in a while. Always learn something. Really nice people from my experience.

By the the way DD can play rec.

Jun 1, 2015
Honestly, it is people like you that are needed in the youth sports community. Unfortunately I have found that it is extremely rare. At least in my experience. In your opinion, how can youth sports increase participation from people without an existing personal relationship with the players?

Truthfully, I do not know the answer. I started out in HS doing scorebook for JV/Varsity softball because I loved the coaches (who were teachers of mine). One day, my uncle (who had done a couple of games umpiring little league baseball/softball) said to me, "Would you be interested in helping out? $25 a game, 2 hours' work, lots of games to do". So I hopped in and started doing games. That was 2005. As of last year, I'd done at least 1 game every year since, so that makes 14 years of officiating. Around 2012, I decided to take the courses required in NYS for coaching and got my certification for coaching HS softball. In 2014, the team I currently coach was founded by another parent (around his daughter, a pitcher), and I was the AC (because I was the head umpire for LL and knew the rule sets best). The next year, I took the team over because he had to step away because of work. As I said before, everything I've done had nothing to do with my own kids (I have none). It just involved loving the game and working with players to improve their game as well. Sadly, in smaller communities like where I live, it's not as if there are "experts" on the game who can just step in and revolutionize the game. Most of the time, it's local youth programs, sponsored by small businesses, giving the kids something to do in the evenings instead of sitting at home getting fat. I've done it because I have a passion to learn the game, learn the rules and the strategies of the game, and want to promote the game to the girls I coach.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28