Pain in pectoral area?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2018
Pitcher. Stabbing pain in pectoral region of pitching side. Took a couple months off 2018 summer, pitched over the winter some without pain. Season starts pain is now back. Can't pitch much at all without pain. Just curious if anyone has experience with anything like this?

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
No experience with Pectoral But I second Sluggers suggestion!

Our DD had back issues....saw doctor AND changed pitching coach....
incorrect use/mechanics. corrected those and pain free for 2 years now. (along with better pitching results!)

Nov 8, 2018
Sounds like she has either an anterior or posterior rib subluxation or a rib cartilage issue on the anterior/ front side of the chest. Is the pain near the breast plate but slightly to the side ? Does the pain wrap around or thru the chest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2018
Sounds like she has either an anterior or posterior rib subluxation or a rib cartilage issue on the anterior/ front side of the chest. Is the pain near the breast plate but slightly to the side ? Does the pain wrap around or thru the chest?

Stabbing pain, only while pitching, close into her arm pit area. Can throw overhand without pain. This is not my kiddo, for the record. One of the kids I know who plays. Has been working with a trainer, was just curious if anyone had ever experienced an injury in this particular area that even after a few months off ended up coming right back.

Nov 8, 2018
Stabbing pain, only while pitching, close into her arm pit area. Can throw overhand without pain. This is not my kiddo, for the record. One of the kids I know who plays. Has been working with a trainer, was just curious if anyone had ever experienced an injury in this particular area that even after a few months off ended up coming right back.

Without actually examining would be hard to determine exactly what’s up.

Aug 21, 2008
Would have to see it for sure but USUALLY, and I stress USUALLY, when someone gets sore in the pectoral area the common denominator has been the arm being too stiff, putting undo stress on the shoulder and shoulder area muscles (including the pectoral). Of course, I realize this is not ALWAYS the case, but in my experience it's been the cause more than not. If she swings her arm backwards, that is almost always when the arm locks. The problem is, many who do this never learn to unlock the arm. Again, I'm going at this blind without knowing or seeing her but, if I was a betting man, I'd bet on that with sight unseen.

Bill

Feb 17, 2011
Last year, my daughters senior year of college, she began have pectoral pain and it turns out it was her rhomboid major muscle on her back had stretched out a bit and was letting her scapula change position, (look up sick scapula ) causing impingement pain in the front side of her shoulder. Constant pull backs with huge rubber bands helped to tighten back up the rhomboid major muscle which in turn helped the scapula lay back down toward a normal position on the back.
Look at her back and see if the scapula of her pitching side is sticking up more than the other side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802