Overuse Injuries and Year Round Training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
I wonder what percentage of those injuries are from cheer and gymnastics? The stories I've heard are just crazy. I've witnessed it with 2 of my nieces also.

I blame gymnastics for all the back problems I had when I was in my teens and early 20s. I was not competitive, just did it for fun. But I was at the gym (by my own choice) 4-5 days a week after school. I loved it. Pretty sure all that unnatural bending did a number on me, though.

One of DD's past teammates and her parents came over last night and they were telling us about a kid on their son's baseball team who's in 3 lessons per week, and his dad is constantly up on the fence yelling stuff at him. It's 6U. ITA about the high stress, super-competitive environment being bad for kids who are that young.

Feb 25, 2018
From Dan Pfaff, a highly successful coach of Olympic track and field athletes.

Rest, recovery and pre-hab isn't nearly discussed enough/planned for.

Plus, I think pitchers pitch WAY too much,
especially in the 13-18 year old age group.
Just because there isn't a pitch count in high school/travel, that doesn't mean coaches can't/shouldn't use one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191207-084512_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20191207-084512_Drive.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 28
Jul 1, 2019
While on the subject of multi-sport athletes...

DD's middle school had their basketball tryouts two weeks ago. Five of her softball teammates tried out, but not one made the team. A few soccer players made it (same coach, go figure), but mostly it's the girls who have played travel basketball for a few years.

So, even if you want to play more than one sport (at the middle school level even!) there are kids who have just played more at a higher level and that door may already be closed at 12 years old.
This is the exact scenario we ran into. DD's first 7th grade basketball game is in two days. Out of the 40 that tried out, 15 made it (A and B teams). Of those 15, 7 come with travel experience and are without question the A players. From what we can tell, this years returning 8th graders only had 11 try out (last year they had 30+), which leads me to assume that most the B girls from last year didn't get enough playing time/attention to even tryout again this year. That's what we've seen from practices leading up to this weeks games. The A team girls are getting all HC's attention/effort, the B girls are given drills to go work on and thats about it. HC says their is no clear A and B at this time, that will be determined a few games into the season but to the girls its obvious.

Luckily, DD played travel for a couple years with these girls and though she isn't what she believes to be in the top 7, she puts herself 8th and is expecting playing time on both teams (non starter on A, and she's been practicing as starting point guard on B). I told her that she needs to keep playing as long as she's making the cut, but as soon as she doesn't her full focus will go to softball (which has had 90% of her focus anyway). I love that she's playing two sports, I can see how basketball has helped in conditioning and strength, but it's taking time away from her real passion and that pains me a little. Her journey, I'm just here to help.

Oct 4, 2018

DD's middle school had their basketball tryouts two weeks ago. Five of her softball teammates tried out, but not one made the team. A few soccer players made it (same coach, go figure), but mostly it's the girls who have played travel basketball for a few years.

So, even if you want to play more than one sport (at the middle school level even!) there are kids who have just played more at a higher level and that door may already be closed at 12 years old.

Very true.

Just like if the travel basketball players came to our DD's travel softball tryouts. They probably don't make the team, and probably shouldn't expect to.

My softball playing DD is doing rec basketball. Perfect for her.

Jul 14, 2018
Very true.

Just like if the travel basketball players came to our DD's travel softball tryouts. They probably don't make the team, and probably shouldn't expect to.

My softball playing DD is doing rec basketball. Perfect for her.

This is absolutely true. In our middle school, even the kids who just play Rec softball have no chance of making the team. All of the athletic kids who play soccer and basketball play on the lacrosse team.

Jun 8, 2016
This is absolutely true. In our middle school, even the kids who just play Rec softball have no chance of making the team. All of the athletic kids who play soccer and basketball play on the lacrosse team.
If you think your child would like to play both MS/HS basketball and MS/HS softball, and have to choose to play travel in one but not both, I would go with travel softball everytime. Skills like dribbling and shooting can be developed outside of a team atmosphere and the stuff you miss out by not playing high level basketball, how to move without the ball, defensive work, etc can be quickly learned if the kid is athletic enough.If you have the skills and the athleticism you will also adjust fairly quickly to increases speed of the game which occurs with higher level players. A good MS/HS basketball coach will see the skills/athleticism and will see the potential development once more game/organized practice experience is gained. I am not sure the same can be said for softball.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019
Our high school is overemphasizing the value of being a three sport athlete and harping about how its healthier than specialization.

Problem is, the crazy-rear coaches are running them into the ground the day after one sport ends with four hour practices in the next sport and "team bonding" one night per week. They spend all summer in the gym playing volleyball and basketball. It is not acceptable to not attend all of the "voluntary" summer activities.

Veterans day basketball practice was 6a-12p. Seriously.

Had a kid with a shoulder injury on our tb softball team. Me: "Suzy, do you know what caused your shoulder problem?" Suzy: "Kind of. We had summer volleyball and basketball practice on the same day then we went to play school summer basketball that night. I hurt it in the game that night."

Last winter, our girls basketball coach was irritated with how the team played on a Saturday night win and had an illegal four hour practice Sunday in which players cried and threw up. Keep in mind, this is at the END of a grueling three month long season. They played the next night, (Monday), in the first round of the state tournament. The stand out senior player, who was exhausted from the season, blew her ACL in the first half.

Keep in mind, these people are saying that being a multi-sport athlete is "better for your body".

Please be careful.

Nov 4, 2019
So. I come from small school in east central Indiana where I was an accomplished 3 sport athlete until my Jr year when I stopped playing basketball to work on strength training to achieve my dream of playing D1 football.
I am huge believer in doing all u can for your school athletically if you have any ability. Also huge believer in that playing other sports create a well rounded "mind game" in athletes as well as well rounded athleticism! Using so many diff muscles that differ sport to sport.
Having said that, over use is over use when talking about Nazi practice schedules and no recovery which is well documented that recovery is MORE important than training...especially SLEEP. What I hate is when schools/coaches discriminate BECAUSE a child WANTS to play multiple sports.
I encourage kids and parents to know yourself, your school, coaches and even AD to be able to understand dynamics and keep your sanity.

May 5, 2019

No way, if a child is athletic enough they will play. Parents over value their children's ability all of the time, sometimes it takes a coach during a different tryout to bring people back to reality. It's just starting at 12, but you have to go play sport at some point to make an organized team...

Jul 16, 2018
its been my experience that girls are really pressed to specialize more than boys. Maybe its lack of professional opportunities for women which makes it more of "go all in" culture around youth sports.

Im not saying it doesnt exist for boys - it does. But just that in my experience everything about girls sports seems to be specialized from the position to the sport you play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802