Overuse Injuries and Year Round Training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 29, 2018
I have watched this video several times. It is from Bryant Gumbel as part of a series. Curious what others think about the increased trend in specialization for young athletes in softball. The video doesn't address a specific sport but seems to focus on ACL tears and profiles some in soccer/gymnastics. But I believe the advice applies to many young softball players too. They say the data is clear there is a 2x likelihood of injury with specializing at a young age.

"Elite level youth sports is not something that improves your health today" - quote from a Dr. in the video.

There are not a ton of solutions provided in this short video, other than don't specialize 11 months a year, at least at a young age.

Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel

Jun 12, 2015
My daughter had physical therapy yesterday for about her 4th or 5th overuse/growth related injury. She's 13. Even as she plays softball 11 months out of the year, I agree that it's not healthy. We made her play basketball. We made her play soccer. She led the way to travel ball from rec. She put her foot down about other sports. She loves softball, & she's through trying other things. She's a teenager, so I guess we're through forcing her into new sports.

We use it to try to help her learn about accountability and self care (real self care). If she wants to play softball practically all year, she has to ice. She has to do exercises as prescribed. She has to eat decently. Etc etc. This happens with varying degrees of success, but growing up is a process. She's prone to this type of injury. It's a trade off that we've so far been willing to let her make.

Dec 11, 2010
Our high school is overemphasizing the value of being a three sport athlete and harping about how its healthier than specialization.

Problem is, the crazy-rear coaches are running them into the ground the day after one sport ends with four hour practices in the next sport and "team bonding" one night per week. They spend all summer in the gym playing volleyball and basketball. It is not acceptable to not attend all of the "voluntary" summer activities.

Veterans day basketball practice was 6a-12p. Seriously.

Had a kid with a shoulder injury on our tb softball team. Me: "Suzy, do you know what caused your shoulder problem?" Suzy: "Kind of. We had summer volleyball and basketball practice on the same day then we went to play school summer basketball that night. I hurt it in the game that night."

Last winter, our girls basketball coach was irritated with how the team played on a Saturday night win and had an illegal four hour practice Sunday in which players cried and threw up. Keep in mind, this is at the END of a grueling three month long season. They played the next night, (Monday), in the first round of the state tournament. The stand out senior player, who was exhausted from the season, blew her ACL in the first half.

Keep in mind, these people are saying that being a multi-sport athlete is "better for your body".

Please be careful.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
It isn't just specialization. It's the YEAR ROUND grind that doesn't ever include a break. I know HS kids who go from sport to sport with overlap that rarely includes any break. Everyone needs some down time, and pro athletes probably take more time off than some of these kids.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I think the biggest thing I've learned from being part of a big organization is how important the strength and conditioning is (2 X per week, mandatory) when dealing with 1 sport athletes. I talked with one of the trainers a while back and he was detailing the goals of the program. It was surprising to hear that they concentrate on movement and balancing out the muscular imbalances inherent in softball. The primary reason is injury prevention and the perk is the athletes become stronger and possess more well rounded athleticism.

To me, this approach makes sense...

Dec 11, 2010
I think the biggest thing I've learned from being part of a big organization is how important the strength and conditioning is (2 X per week, mandatory) when dealing with 1 sport athletes. I talked with one of the trainers a while back and he was detailing the goals of the program. It was surprising to hear that they concentrate on movement and balancing out the muscular imbalances inherent in softball. The primary reason is injury prevention and the perk is the athletes become stronger and possess more well rounded athleticism.

To me, this approach makes sense...

Makes sense to me too. It is a good plan.
Parents get together and say NO!

I don't have a horse in the race but I agree. DD#2 was a decent bb player but wouldn't consider playing for that coach. There are two athletic directors involved that should be handling it so a parent/player doesn't have to worry about retribution.

I also want to point out that this is not a grueling program that creates results- it creates a mediocre result and varsity teams with no seniors.

Jun 8, 2016
I've said this before but IMO it is not the amount of hours of sports involved that is the issue, it is the % of those hours which take place in a pressurized environment. From the age of probably 9 or 10 till I left HS, I probably played either basketball or baseball literally 355 out of the 365 days of the year. However a very high percentage of those hours were either working on my own or playing with my friends. Stress does weird stuff to the body.

Oct 29, 2018
Thank you all for all the feedback! It is hard to parent in these situations.

I agree with you Pattar that the focus on competition and stressful situations creates a different kind of stress on the body as well.

I am not sure I agree that more hours of strength and conditioning is the solution. I'm not saying it's wrong, necessarily. Just that if that were the solution, wouldn't those kids in the video be able to prevent future injuries? That is not the advice the Drs are giving in this video or elsewhere that I have seen. They are saying to do less and to take breaks, I think. Maybe a mix of both things...?

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I have watched this video several times. It is from Bryant Gumbel as part of a series. Curious what others think about the increased trend in specialization for young athletes in softball. The video doesn't address a specific sport but seems to focus on ACL tears and profiles some in soccer/gymnastics. But I believe the advice applies to many young softball players too. They say the data is clear there is a 2x likelihood of injury with specializing at a young age.

"Elite level youth sports is not something that improves your health today" - quote from a Dr. in the video.

There are not a ton of solutions provided in this short video, other than don't specialize 11 months a year, at least at a young age.

Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel

Your initial post was referencing injuries from specialized (presumably 1 sport) athletes. Specifically ACL tears and "Elite level youth sports is not something that improves your health today"...

The strength and conditioning program that my DD and her organization subscribes to addresses EXACTLY these issues, specifically injury prevention and improved health. If you feel that it is not the answer, that's ok. My $0.02 is that I feel this cross training is an underappreciated aspect of sport specialization, hence the post.

My DD has learned how to work out in a group environment at a young age. She enjoys these work outs so much that she has often said that if softball doesn't work out she wants to be a "crossfit" athlete... Softball is not a lifelong pursuit, general physical fitness is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478