Overuning first base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2018
I'll bring it up during the meeting at the plate prior to the game. If the ball is in the circle the runner is out if rounding first trying to entice a throw (stay on 1st or advance to 2nd). If the ball is live (not in the circle) rounding is fine. Can advance at runners risk. Never had a coach or ump disagree. To many missed calls at 1st.
Not clear on what you are stating. If the ball is in the circle, a player can still round 1st base. However, if the ball is in the circle, they can't hang out off the base. If they round, they need to pick up the ball quickly and if the ball is in the circle, they are required to advance or retreat. The umpire should give enough time for the runner to pick up the ball and not rush a lookback call in this case. If the ball is not in the circle the runner can do whatever they want but are subject to being tagged out if off the base.

Feb 3, 2016
A player rounding 1st, stopping and trying to entice a throw. If the pitcher has ball out of glove and attempting to make a play runner is released. Easier to just post the actual rule verbiage below.

A batter-runner who overruns first and does not without delay attempt to
advance to second is committed to return to first and stop.
The runner, off base, may not stand motionless

Nov 18, 2015
A player rounding 1st, stopping and trying to entice a throw. If the pitcher has ball out of glove and attempting to make a play runner is released. Easier to just post the actual rule verbiage below.

A batter-runner who overruns first and does not without delay attempt to
The runner, off base, may not stand motionless
Are you interpreting overrunning 1B to include rounding 1B? Based on your reply to jackfrost, it seems like you're saying that if the ball is in the circle, you can't even round first ("...runner is out if rounding first...").

Feb 3, 2016
Feels like this has turned into a who's on first sketch.
The following is from the USSSA rulebook. Rounding or overrunning not sure if this differentiated in this rule or in this thread. Rounding is overrunning to me.

"A batter-runner who overruns first and does not without delay attempt to
The runner, off base, may not stand motionless"

If a girl rounds 1st and camps out (stationary) to entice a throw from the pitcher in the circle with the ball, in her glove, not making a play, I'm going to get her called out. I guess the without delay could be interpreted differently by others.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Rounding is overrunning to me.

But not to anybody else. They're not the same thing. They're distinctly *different* things because a batter is allowed to overrun first base without the risk of being put out, while the same is not true of rounding.

The rules do not say you're not allowed to round the base if the pitcher has the ball in the circle.

Feb 3, 2016
But not to anybody else. They're not the same thing. They're distinctly *different* things because a batter is allowed to overrun first base without the risk of being put out, while the same is not true of rounding.

The rules do not say you're not allowed to round the base if the pitcher has the ball in the circle.
The reason they're the same to me. Two choices the runner needs to decide if returning to the bag or advancing to second. Never stated the runner can't round 1st. They can't round and stop to entice a throw.
A batter overrunning first isn't at risk of put out if returning to the base because they're not attempting to advance.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2016
Overrunning first and rounding first are not even remotely the same.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
So which one of those does the text from the rule below support?
advance to second is committed to return to first and stop. The runner, off base, may not stand motionless"

Jun 22, 2008
So which one of those does the text from the rule below support?
advance to second is committed to return to first and stop. The runner, off base, may not stand motionless"

2 different statements about 2 different situations.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The reason they're the same to me. Two choices the runner needs to decide if returning to the bag or advancing to second. Never stated the runner can't round 1st. They can't round and stop to entice a throw.
A batter overrunning first isn't at risk of put out if returning to the base because they're not attempting to advance.

There are countless threads on this board about the look-back rule and how and when it applies. We have a handful of umpires who post here (at least one has posted in this thread). We're not going to break new ground here. There isn't some secret previously undiscovered application of the rule.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28