Overuning first base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
Correct me if i am wrong, my understanding is that after overrunning first base you can not move towards second, many of the girls seem to get the idea they can not cross the foul line, near as i can tell the foul line has nothing to do with it, but is there any situation a runner could over run the bag and end up on the fair side of the bag and not be tagged out? Say the first baseman is receiving a throw from the right fielder that goes in foul territory with a runner coming in to the bag can the runner go around the fielder in fair territory Without being considered advancing towards second as long as she goes around the fielder and then does not advance more towards second?

Jul 22, 2015
Correct me if i am wrong, my understanding is that after overrunning first base you can not move towards second, many of the girls seem to get the idea they can not cross the foul line, near as i can tell the foul line has nothing to do with it, but is there any situation a runner could over run the bag and end up on the fair side of the bag and not be tagged out? Say the first baseman is receiving a throw from the right fielder that goes in foul territory with a runner coming in to the bag can the runner go around the fielder in fair territory Without being considered advancing towards second as long as she goes around the fielder and then does not advance more towards second?
You are correct; fair or foul territory is not relevant. The only thing that matters is whether or not the runner makes an attempt to advance to 2B.

Oct 12, 2020
Yep, exactly like mmeece said, it all comes down to intention. Sometimes, unfortunately, that comes down to an umpire's poor discretion.

Aug 25, 2019
You can run straight down the runners lane and hit the safety bag and still can finish in fair territory, as long as you turn around and head back to first, you all good.

Jul 22, 2015
Oddly enough, we just had this play come up yesterday. We were playing a juco team and our 3B overthrew 1B. The RF was hustling to back up the play and picked up the ball immediately. The batter/runner made one hard step to 2B but realized RF already had the ball so she just turned around to walk back to 1B, but our 1B and RF read the play correctly and made the throw and tag to get the out.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
And the BR can turn left *or* right. Simply turning left does not = an attempt to 2nd.

This is true, but you'll constantly hear people talk about the runner "turning the wrong way." And, unfortunately, you might even get a few umpires who either don't know the rule or interpret any left-hand turn to be an attempt to second.

I'd argue that it's not a bad thing to teach a right-hand turn just to be safe. IMO, any umpire who's going to blow that call probably isn't going to listen to your argument when you question it.

Jun 26, 2019
This is true, but you'll constantly hear people talk about the runner "turning the wrong way." And, unfortunately, you might even get a few umpires who either don't know the rule or interpret any left-hand turn to be an attempt to second.

I'd argue that it's not a bad thing to teach a right-hand turn just to be safe. IMO, any umpire who's going to blow that call probably isn't going to listen to your argument when you question it.

What i told my girls isto run straight past the bag, and immediately after, either read the play or watch the first base coach, if the first baseman has the ball, then drops it and you took two steps to your left without the play being “fat lady singing” over thats wto steps farther from second you are.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K