Overuning first base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
So which one of those does the text from the rule below support?
"A batter-runner who overruns first and does not without delay attempt to
advance to second is committed to return to first and stop. The runner, off base, may not stand motionless"
The text applies only to a situation where the BR overruns first base, period. That's clear since it starts out, "A batter-runner who overruns first..." It doesn't apply to when a BR rounds first.

What you're doing is taking the look-back rule and applying it to a BR who advances beyond first base and then stops. Yes, a BR who goes beyond first either by overrunning it or rounding it and then stopping can end up violating the look-back rule. But the similarities end there. It doesn't mean that overrunning and rounding are the same thing.

Nov 18, 2015
ks - thanks for clarifying - it wasn't clear from your earlier plate meeting reference that you were still allowing the runner to stop once and immediately return to 1B (or continue to 2B) when rounding the bag.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I'll bring it up during the meeting at the plate prior to the game. If the ball is in the circle the runner is out if rounding first trying to entice a throw (stay on 1st or advance to 2nd). If the ball is live (not in the circle) rounding is fine. Can advance at runners risk. Never had a coach or ump disagree. To many missed calls at 1st.
I would be the first then. That’s not how the LBR rule is written. A runner can round, stop and then immediately retreat or advance. Just rounding the bag does not make her out.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
As an umpire I "HATE" rules that necessitate my determining intent. If I were Karnac the Magnificent (insert obligatory Johnny Carson in a turban photo, those under 30 ask your parents) I would be making the big bucks. Take my lousy mindreading skills out of the equation and teach them to turn right, they can always make an attempt to go to 2B and turning right is NEVER read as intent to advance. Leave the easy calls like tangle-untangle to me and my seeing-eye dog Max to figure out.