Overuning first base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
I can't add anything new, only reinforce @mmeece story that 1 hard step is intent. Your turn direction is not relevant. Turn right, then take 1 hard step. you're now 'in play'

Jun 11, 2013
Teach them to look for the coach after they cross and you'll do fine. If you want to get cute and show you know the rules better than the umpire you will get called out at some point. It may not be the right call but while you can turn left according to the rules some umpires will take that as an attempt and call you out. It's a judgement call that you can't protest and just not worth it.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Teach them to look for the coach after they cross and you'll do fine. If you want to get cute and show you know the rules better than the umpire you will get called out at some point. It may not be the right call but while you can turn left according to the rules some umpires will take that as an attempt and call you out. It's a judgement call that you can't protest and just not worth it.

Wouldn't that depend on what the umpire says?

If he says "she made an attempt toward second," you're screwed, of course. If you go out and ask "why did you call her out?" and he responds "She turned left," that seems like a misapplication of the rule. I think at that point, I'd probably ask them to get some help because simply turning left doesn't matter, but I suspect they probably wouldn't bother.

Jun 11, 2013
Wouldn't that depend on what the umpire says?

If he says "she made an attempt toward second," you're screwed, of course. If you go out and ask "why did you call her out?" and he responds "She turned left," that seems like a misapplication of the rule. I think at that point, I'd probably ask them to get some help because simply turning left doesn't matter, but I suspect they probably wouldn't bother.
You are right and if you want to protest you have the right to do so if they say that. Maybe it's just me but I don't try and do things that really don't give me an advantage but can cause me problems.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
You are right and if you want to protest you have the right to do so if they say that. Maybe it's just me but I don't try and do things that really don't give me an advantage but can cause me problems.

Oh, no, I completely agree with you. But just because we might teach a certain thing doesn't mean the players are always going to do the thing we teach. Always good to know all your options just in case.

Tex

Sep 13, 2011
Makes no difference which way a runner turns after running through 1st base. Any movement (attempt) that can easily be determined that the runner is starting to go to second., has placed herself in jeopardy to be tagged out.

Apr 23, 2020
SE Wisconsin
We generally coach players to round 1st base on a single and stop about 8-10 ft from the bag. Similar to a lead-off. My understanding is that the next move the runner makes is a commitment either to 2nd or back to 1st. Can't dance around out there!

Feb 3, 2016
I'll bring it up during the meeting at the plate prior to the game. If the ball is in the circle the runner is out if rounding first trying to entice a throw (stay on 1st or advance to 2nd). If the ball is live (not in the circle) rounding is fine. Can advance at runners risk. Never had a coach or ump disagree. To many missed calls at 1st.

Jun 22, 2008
We generally coach players to round 1st base on a single and stop about 8-10 ft from the bag. Similar to a lead-off. My understanding is that the next move the runner makes is a commitment either to 2nd or back to 1st. Can't dance around out there!

That has nothing to do with overrunning first base and which direction the runner turns. And, the runner can stand off the base and dance around all they want until the pitcher has the ball in the circle and is not making a play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K