Oversized Balls to help with Spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2018
I use a 14" (and a 16") to not only help my DD with spin, but to demonstrate to her and practice spin myself since the ball helps me understand proportionally how she feels with a 12" ball with her smaller hands.

Jul 8, 2020
My daughter has used a big ball for a while now. I'm not sure if that has helped with her spin rate or if something else has, but her spin rate is on the higher side of average from what I have been told

Jun 7, 2016
One of DDs teammate used one. Did not see how it was helpful. What aspect does the oversize dimension help (hand strength, finger dexterity...)? Best advice I ve heard was from Hillhouse on video where he talks about going on dates and spinning ball constantly. Tell my DD to do this while watching TV or those damn tiktoks....

Jul 11, 2020
Big balls are a very useful tool when used correctly. Don’t over use it. In my lessons, my pitchers only use the big ball once they have learned the proper mechanics of each pitch. The larger ball forces the pitcher to exaggerate the snap. This encourages her to snap with her full power. This also helps strengthen the snap. Also, I only use the big ball for snaps. Never is a full arm circle. I like to finish up with a few snaps with the normal sized ball. Pitchers are always amazed at how much better their spin gets immediately after switching back. Typically I’ll ask my pitcher to do 15 snaps with the big ball then switch and do 15 with the small one. I also incorporate spinners.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I'm not a pitching coach but unless the pitcher has larger hands she is going to be holding the ball too deep in the hand and not with the finger tips . Seems as though she will be struggling to just hold onto the ball and that could effect arm motion.

Like I said I'm no pitching coach. Just thinking out loud.

Jul 11, 2020
If you need any help with drills using the big ball or how to effectively use them I offer online lessons. Let me know if this is something you’d be interested in! Big balls can be a great tool but can be quite useless if you don’t know how to use them.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2