Overhand throwing mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Austin - welcome back to DFP!

ChrisSB - re: lower half - in the video you provided - watch her back knee - it doesn't seem to move, and stays pointed in the same general direction the whole time. If you watch the above video Austin linked to - (I'm currently using Chrome - not sure if you'll see the same via phone or other browser) - at the end you should see the "More from Wasserman Strength". One of the suggested video's should show someone with a band around their back leg - this is the movement your daughter may be lacking - an internal rotation of the rear leg. As I understand it, this IR action helps the hips rotate, or perhaps a more accurate statement is that the IR of the lower leg helps drive rotation of the torso.

The video showing the guy with the PVC pipe anchored in the ground is another example to help discover the feeling of that back leg / knee turning in.

Jan 8, 2019
Hi!

I've been asked to come out to CA multiple times but the only organization that has followed through are the Cal State Dirt Dogs. Great experience and fun sessions. Send me an email at support@wassermanstrength.com for more information regarding our HLT Clinics and to get on our schedule. We are booked out through June 2020. Thanks!
Welcome, Austin!! I was wondering if you were lurking here.

I am one of the ones who has not followed through yet! Sorry!

Maybe fall, since everyone will be running with tourneys through July? I still have not given up! Just want to be sure we can make it worth your while (and not too far away from me).

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
Welcome, Austin!! I was wondering if you were lurking here.

I am one of the ones who has not followed through yet! Sorry!

Maybe fall, since everyone will be running with tourneys through July? I still have not given up! Just want to be sure we can make it worth your while (and not too far away from me).

All good! No worries. Let's stay in touch and keep me posted. Just booked in October so I know the fall will get crazy fast. Hope all is well!

Oct 2, 2017
Water bottle drill from Wasserman is free. If you do the drill (which is a little weird at first) your throwing motion will improve very quickly. And if Wasserman is the authority, how come TB coaches teach differently? He never comes to the west coast so the L drill is still dominate out here.

My DD has been doing some weird throwing mechanics out of nowhere lately. She has no power and is almost pushing the ball. This drill looks like a good one.

Nov 15, 2019
Can I get some feedback on this video versus the one I originally posted?
Looks like we've made progress with her elbow not coming as far forward, but not much improvement with the international rotation of the rear leg that Gags mentioned above?
Thank you for the help. Sorry about the video quality, it looks fine on my phone but becomes really pixilated when I upload it.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2015
South East
Looks like we've made progress with her elbow not coming as far forward, but not much improvement with the international rotation of the rear leg that Gags mentioned above?
Thank you for the help. Sorry about the video quality, it looks fine on my phone but becomes really pixilated when I upload it.

Bad angle to judge the elbow but IMO she is lacking in the separation department..... judging by the logo on her pants her hip is closed when the front foot hits the ground, it should be open or at least opening at this time while the upper body is resisting the lower opening. This will help create tension and allow the body to create force at a much faster rate compared to using momentum and stopping it to help propel the arm and ball forward, which could be part of the reason that the arm has to travel so far ahead to get the throw off. She needs to learn how to get stretch/tension through he core.......

Looks like her weight is pretty much equally distributed also and doesn’t really load the back leg. There should be a feeling of the weight being on the instep of the rear foot. When the throw is launched the weight will/should shift to the front and If the front hip is open when the throw is launched the front leg will be able to stop you much more effectively compared to if the front hip is closed.

JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020

Do they still teach to follow your throw?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28