Overhand throwing mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2019
He is in Vancouver BC right now. We have brought him in 3 times this off season. L throw... gone! Great clinician. Healthy arms here.
I would love to be in be in BC, too! Unfortunately, all of his remaining scheduled clinics are no where close to my allowable range for softball spending.

If I can help him get our this direction, I will, just not sure how to really go about it. He can/will also split with baseball, which would be good for my son.

Did your org just have to pony up the money for 40 spots and then as long as you fill them you're good to go? Or is it more of a push from his side?

PM me with details if easier.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Are there different mechanics for baseball and softball throwing or are they the same?

The mechanics are the same, but there are different challenges in achieving those mechanics.

The biggest one you'll find is a lot of girls, especially at younger ages, tend to get under the ball, which promotes a "push" throw. This is because their hands are small and the ball is big and they either can't or think they can't maintain their grip by staying behind the ball. Think about if you tried to throw a basketball overhand. Unless you have giant NBA player hands, you're probably going to get your hand under the ball to keep some control of it.

So, if you're working with someone young, it may actually be beneficial to teach her using a baseball (or use a baseball sometimes, softball other times).

Dec 12, 2013
B.C. Canada
I would love to be in be in BC, too! Unfortunately, all of his remaining scheduled clinics are no where close to my allowable range for softball spending.

If I can help him get our this direction, I will, just not sure how to really go about it. He can/will also split with baseball, which would be good for my son.

Did your org just have to pony up the money for 40 spots and then as long as you fill them you're good to go? Or is it more of a push from his side?

PM me with details if easier.

If you contact him through his web site or social media pages, he will schedule a private weekend clinic. Obviously he has a fee and airfare which you would have to figure out how many players you would need to cover his fees. For us, it is money well spent. We have great arm patterns now and no sore arms. Can't say enough about this guy, and very humble too.

Nov 15, 2019
The mechanics are the same, but there are different challenges in achieving those mechanics.

The biggest one you'll find is a lot of girls, especially at younger ages, tend to get under the ball, which promotes a "push" throw. This is because their hands are small and the ball is big and they either can't or think they can't maintain their grip by staying behind the ball. Think about if you tried to throw a basketball overhand. Unless you have giant NBA player hands, you're probably going to get your hand under the ball to keep some control of it.

So, if you're working with someone young, it may actually be beneficial to teach her using a baseball (or use a baseball sometimes, softball other times).

This makes sense. I think DD's pushing, she leads with her elbow. She's 13 and this is the first time we've had coaches mention to us that she needs to fix her throwing.IMG_Faith throw.png

Jan 8, 2019
If you contact him through his web site or social media pages, he will schedule a private weekend clinic. Obviously he has a fee and airfare which you would have to figure out how many players you would need to cover his fees. For us, it is money well spent. We have great arm patterns now and no sore arms. Can't say enough about this guy, and very humble too.
Hey, Slice! I have been in contact with him directly, and he has been very easy to communicate with so far. Just wondering if there are details on how to arrange a clinic for him as a third party that might help an org achieve success easier. We're not in a huge population pool here, and I KNOW there are MANY dads who think they have taught their kids to throw correctly, but really did not. So my challenge would be to ensure that we fill the slots and not take a loss for our org.

I'd be tempted to throw down some of the $$ myself, but that would make me more than a little nervous about spending the next few years in the doghouse.

Jun 8, 2016
Biggest problem with throwing imo is people teach kids to throw incorrectly at a young age as opposed just having them go outside and tell them to try and throw it as hard and far as possible..tell a 5 YO who hasn't been taught to throw to whip it as far as they can and you will get a lot closer to a HL throw than what I see from 3/4 of 12 YO girls...

In other words for most kids you don't need to attend a Wasserman clinic at 5 YO as long as you don't screw them up with bad throwing instruction. Let them figure out how to use their bodies efficiently on their own...

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Biggest problem with throwing imo is people teach kids to throw incorrectly at a young age as opposed just having them go outside and tell them to try and throw it as hard and far as possible..tell a 5 YO who hasn't been taught to throw to whip it as far as they can and you will get a lot closer to a HL throw than what I see from 3/4 of 12 YO girls...

In other words for most kids you don't need to attend a Wasserman clinic at 5 YO as long as you don't screw them up with bad throwing instruction. Let them figure out how to use their bodies efficiently on their own...

Trying to remember where I read/heard this (I think it was in The MVP Machine), but one mistake we make with very young kids is playing catch with them before they learn how to throw. They're watching us gently toss the ball to them, and so that's what they emulate. You should teach throwing the way you described, just by having them throw into a wall/fence/net. Teach catching separately (my idea is to teach them to catch by throwing the ball underhand or in some other way that's obviously not "proper overhand throwing" so they don't pick up those habits).

Mar 6, 2016
Look up Tom House...best in my opinion. Understands the "kinesiology" and mechanics of proper arm slot/movement and is used by athletes from all major sports where proper throwing mechanics is involved. Tom Brady, Nolan Ryan, hundreds of players.

Jun 8, 2016
Trying to remember where I read/heard this (I think it was in The MVP Machine), but one mistake we make with very young kids is playing catch with them before they learn how to throw. They're watching us gently toss the ball to them, and so that's what they emulate. You should teach throwing the way you described, just by having them throw into a wall/fence/net. Teach catching separately (my idea is to teach them to catch by throwing the ball underhand or in some other way that's obviously not "proper overhand throwing" so they don't pick up those habits).
I throw properly to my 4 YO son but just toss it softly but yes I get what you are saying.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
This makes sense. I think DD's pushing, she leads with her elbow. She's 13 and this is the first time we've had coaches mention to us that she needs to fix her throwing.View attachment 16377

Do you have video that you wouldn’t mind sharing? I’m assuming that her shoulder has reached its full range of motion in the pic (which the ROM of her shoulder looks very good). The problem I see in the pic is that the elbow is well in front of the shoulder at the max lay back (what I am assuming is max lay back) portion of the throw. The max lay back should have already happened before the elbow crosses or at the latest, even with the shoulder. Her hand/ball location at the start of the sequence could be one reason for that happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478