Overhand throwing mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2019
Bad angle to judge the elbow but IMO she is lacking in the separation department..... judging by the logo on her pants her hip is closed when the front foot hits the ground, it should be open or at least opening at this time while the upper body is resisting the lower opening. This will help create tension and allow the body to create force at a much faster rate compared to using momentum and stopping it to help propel the arm and ball forward, which could be part of the reason that the arm has to travel so far ahead to get the throw off. She needs to learn how to get stretch/tension through he core.......

Looks like her weight is pretty much equally distributed also and doesn’t really load the back leg. There should be a feeling of the weight being on the instep of the rear foot. When the throw is launched the weight will/should shift to the front and If the front hip is open when the throw is launched the front leg will be able to stop you much more effectively compared to if the front hip is closed.

JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks DRDRODD, appreciate all the feedback. What you wrote sounds a lot like what she's working on for hitting... Figuring out how to get tension in her core and getting better with weight transfer. Are these mechanisms pretty similar for hitting and throwing?

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Thanks DRDRODD, appreciate all the feedback. What you wrote sounds a lot like what she's working on for hitting... Figuring out how to get tension in her core and getting better with weight transfer. Are these mechanisms pretty similar for hitting and throwing?

Yes they are similar......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 13, 2017
If you have a subscription to Flo Softball, the are several Wasserman videos there under the "Training" tab then to the "Throwing" section.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Other things to note.

- Center of Chest Drill

- Throwing Breakdown: Washington Shortstop, Sis Bates

Throw-1.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads