Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Overhand throw speed

May 31, 2012
Can anyone enlighten me on how this is tested?

Is it from a certain distance, or would a SS get measured differently than a CF?

Thanks
BD

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
We do:
1.) an overhand throw, into a net with radar (5 feet).
2.) SS throw to 1B that is timed (from line in between 2B-3B, start 5 feet behind).
3.) CF throw to Home that is timed (behind 2B).

4 girl's dad

Finding my way
Apr 5, 2013
In the stands...
[MENTION=8854]Eric F[/MENTION]
What are appropriate overhand speeds per age?

@Win Them All
Do you radar from in front of or from behind?

I have a pocket radar ball coach. Should I have them throw at me like a pitch or stand behind the thrower? May see if I test this weekend.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
According to the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA), the Average college softball overhand throwing velocity is 58-59 MPH.
Above Average is considered 60-62 MPH.
Exceptional is considered 63+ MPH.

We time them throwing at a coach (standing behind a screen), just like you time a pitcher behind a catcher.

We are a 14U-A team - we are 3 weeks into the Wasserman High Level Throwing program (the whole team is doing it)

12 girls:

Before program:

10 were in the 46-49 range when we started, 2 were in the 54-56 range (one had done the program before, the other just has a cannon)

Week 3: (this morning)
The 10 are now in the 50-52 range, the 2 that started higher - one is at 58, the other hit 60

Our goal is get all of them to 60+ by week 10. I don't know if that is realistic, but early results have been very positive.

Dec 28, 2020
According to the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA), the Average college softball overhand throwing velocity is 58-59 MPH.
Above Average is considered 60-62 MPH.
Exceptional is considered 63+ MPH.

We time them throwing at a coach (standing behind a screen), just like you time a pitcher behind a catcher.

We are a 14U-A team - we are 3 weeks into the Wasserman High Level Throwing program (the whole team is doing it)

12 girls:

Before program:

10 were in the 46-49 range when we started, 2 were in the 54-56 range (one had done the program before, the other just has a cannon)

Week 3: (this morning)
The 10 are now in the 50-52 range, the 2 that started higher - one is at 58, the other hit 60

Our goal is get all of them to 60+ by week 10. I don't know if that is realistic, but early results have been very positive.
I know this post is old, but any chance at an update on how it turned out deeper into the program?