Over throw

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2016
Batter hits ball to SS stage runner reaches and tags 1st base the throw from the SS goes into the 1st base dugout.
Question
Does the runner get 2 bases on an OT and what bases would that be since runner had tagged 1st before the OT?

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
May have changed the ruling but think it is two bases from where they were at time of bat when it's the 1st throw by an infielder.

Oct 11, 2018
What is the softball rule? Edit: Is it two bases from last base attained at time of throw?
yes, specifically 2 base award from the position of the runner at the time ball left the thrower's hand (not from time ball goes out of play). There are some nuances here so best to use wording in the book "position of runner when the ball left the fielders hand"

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
yes, specifically 2 base award from the position of the runner at the time ball left the thrower's hand (not from time ball goes out of play)
So at the time of the throw, if the batter has crossed 1st and the runner that was on 1st has not reached 2nd yet, then they both are awarded 3rd base?

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
yes, specifically 2 base award from the position of the runner at the time ball left the thrower's hand (not from time ball goes out of play). There are some nuances here so best to use wording in the book "position of runner when the ball left the fielders hand"

Are you positive? That's what I was thinking too, but I seem to have some remembrance that the batter is awarded their bases from home if it's the first throw, therefore she gets second. It's hazy though and I haven't read a rule book in a couple of years.

Jun 22, 2008
Are you positive? That's what I was thinking too, but I seem to have some remembrance that the batter is awarded their bases from home if it's the first throw, therefore she gets second. It's hazy though and I haven't read a rule book in a couple of years.

It is 2 bases from the runners position at the time of the throw, and as stated if 2 runners are both between the same base the award is based on the lead runner.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee