Over aged players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 10, 2018
We were at a 12U 'B' tournament this past weekend. Saturday is pool play as you know. During the last game of pool play it was discovered that one of the other teams, an out of town team, had 2 -14U players on their team, their pitcher and another girl. The mom of that pitcher is also the other clubs 14U coach so the club and all involved were well away that both girls were over aged. When confronted they admitted to the 2 girls being 14. I find it in very poor taste and it shows a huge lack of sportsmanship.
Two questions:
What is the ruling on the rest of their tourney play for that team?
What sanctions or consequences can be imposed on that club?

Aug 2, 2019
In for answers. Last year in 10U we routinely ran into teams where the girls on the opposing team looked like they could have driven themselves to the games.

One girl had a birth certificate her mom carried in her purse that was a piece of note book paper with the girls name written on it that said "I am 10".

Oct 2, 2017
LOL, My DD just played a single day tourney over the weekend. 2 pool and then single elimination 10u which is 09-10 birthdays. They had one team they played that we found out 4 2008 girls playing for them. The coach admitted to it and the tourney director approved it because it was a unsanctioned tourney. These girls were the size of a full grown man just about. Unsanctioned or approved aside, I don't know why any coach would want to do that unless they are just chasing trophies. It doesn't do the older girls or the younger girls any favors. The director said that our team could have played down to 8u coach if we wanted by their rules. Its ridiculous, but what can you do?

Jun 12, 2015
In for answers. Last year in 10U we routinely ran into teams where the girls on the opposing team looked like they could have driven themselves to the games.

One girl had a birth certificate her mom carried in her purse that was a piece of note book paper with the girls name written on it that said "I am 10".

Especially when my DD was pitching we got looked at sideways. She was always taller than most of the other girls and she was good, so I would hear "You know that pitcher is an 05" comments. Not only did she have an 06 birth year like the rest of her team, she has a late birthday so she's actually a grade behind most of her teammates. I keep her BC on my phone so it's always handy even if the paper version gets misplaced. She's around 5'7" now, going into 14U, so she doesn't stand out that much anymore.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Two questions:

First, the protest must be brought to the tournament director before anything happens.

Rest of tournament: That is up up to the tournament director to enforce once he receives the appropriate protest/complaint
In USSSA team is ejected from the tournament and placed last in the tournament; other rule sets have their own penalties, but most are fairly similar. USSSA also has rules on how games in progress/already completed are handled,

Club: The TD is meant to write this up and send it to the appropriate governing org (State Director normally). Sanctions/consequences then become part of the governing body process. This will vary from sanction to sanction and is not covered in the rule book though there is normally a documented procedure. Most sanctions are weaker than I like on this behavior. They generally come down on a coach versus an org especially for first offenses.

If the TD doesn't react, then you go over their head to his boss and his bosses boss if necessary.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
We were at a 12U 'B' tournament this past weekend. Saturday is pool play as you know. During the last game of pool play it was discovered that one of the other teams, an out of town team, had 2 -14U players on their team, their pitcher and another girl. The mom of that pitcher is also the other clubs 14U coach so the club and all involved were well away that both girls were over aged. When confronted they admitted to the 2 girls being 14. I find it in very poor taste and it shows a huge lack of sportsmanship.
Two questions:

Are the two girls actually 14 years old, or just playing on the 14U team? If they have '06 birthdays, they are still age-eligible to play 12U until January 1.

May 9, 2019
I've ran across this many times in 10u rec, but the questionable girls were usually the ones who had the least amount of skill and coordination.

Also my DD loves pitching to these big girls.. huuuuge strike zone! lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28