Over aged players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2019
I've ran across this many times in 10u rec, but the questionable girls were usually the ones who had the least amount of skill and coordination.

Also my DD loves pitching to these big girls.. huuuuge strike zone! lol

In rec, I don't mind girls playing down if it's an appropriate strength/skill level (within reason, like a couple months older). Rather that than they get hurt.
In TB, that's a different story though. I'd be p!ssed in a tournament.

Jun 12, 2015
Yeah...that's a problem. For my kid, I know there is no way she would have agreed to play down like that.

That's the biggest mystery to me. I have seen enough win-at-all-costs coaches not to be overly surprised that there are coaches who would do this. But what are the parents thinking!? Lie about your age so you can go beat up teams of younger kids, honey. It'll be fun.

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah...that's a problem. For my kid, I know there is no way she would have agreed to play down like that.

Yep. My DD would say "How am I allowed to play in 10U? My last season of 10U was last year."

And of course I wouldn't let her play. We'd both have issues with it. Sad that some don't.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Especially when my DD was pitching we got looked at sideways. She was always taller than most of the other girls and she was good, so I would hear "You know that pitcher is an 05" comments. Not only did she have an 06 birth year like the rest of her team, she has a late birthday so she's actually a grade behind most of her teammates. I keep her BC on my phone so it's always handy even if the paper version gets misplaced. She's around 5'7" now, going into 14U, so she doesn't stand out that much anymore.
Back a few years ago when I was coaching 10U we had a pitcher who was a head taller than every player on our team. Whenever someone questioned it I would point to the 6'11" father and 6'2" mother seated down the line who were glad to provide the BC should there be any issue.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Back a few years ago when I was coaching 10U we had a pitcher who was a head taller than every player on our team. Whenever someone questioned it I would point to the 6'11" father and 6'2" mother seated down the line who were glad to provide the BC should there be any issue.

10U. My slightly-bigger-than-average DD in the box. The pitcher was easily 5'-10".
1571075873644.png

Sep 29, 2014
Honestly if it's not an official tournament that is going to qualify you for something and it's fall ball I just roll with it...is it kinda crappy yeah but just not much to get worked up about unless of course like you said its the pitcher and she strikes out the whole lineup twice in six innings, then its just a matter of not getting your moneys worth...if I find out mid game I might ask the coach to rotate the pitcher out just so we get a chance to hit.

IF on the other hand this is some kind of qualifier then I 100% raise the BS flag and take it straight to the TD and if he doesn't give you satisfaction I write the sanctioning body as soon as I get home.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
IF on the other hand this is some kind of qualifier then I 100% raise the BS flag and take it straight to the TD and if he doesn't give you satisfaction I write the sanctioning body as soon as I get home.

They don't have phones, emails or texts where you are from?

Just joking... seriously , why wait. These sort of things needs to be resolved right now... not in the future.

If the TD acknowledges that there is an ineligible player but doesn't want to act or doesn't want to act on our protest, that is not right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog