Outlaw video help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Off the subject question, does her shoulder (back of shoulder, near the blade) ever bother her? Get sore?

Bill

Jan 17, 2020
Yes. She missed one tournament last season because of being sore in that area. Not sore this time of year from practicing.

Jul 14, 2008
The direction of her backswing is a big problem and needs to be fixed as it is affecting the entire sequence. She takes the ball behind her back in anticipation of a glove side lean during the circle progression. When that happens the forward arm swing cannot move directly toward the the target line. The forward swing has to move outward to clear her body because it starts from behind her back. This starts a circle direction that is fatally flawed.

When the forward swing moves outward instead of forward, the direction of the complete circle is now outward, then up and over her head, and down again behind her back. Moving down the circle behind her back causes 2 problems. The first is a scap retraction down the back of the circle to allow the direction and momentum to continue. This can cause injury and soreness in the upper scap area on the throwing side of the upper back. The second is inhibition of the speed of the arm circle because it is off line and lands too far behind her back approaching release.

So, in order to fix the forward circle direction, you must fix the backswing direction. The backswing needs to go straight back, allowing the forward swing to progress unimpeded in the direction of the target. She can practice by making sure the upswing moves in front of the shoulder socket vs. out away from it. She cannot accomplish this correct upswing direction from behind her back so she has to adjust her backswing direction.

Fixing this flaw will increase arm circle speed and reduce soreness and potential injury due to the flawed circle.

Circle.gif

Cheers!

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
Here’s one more point for everyone reading this thread.

Using internal rotation of the humerus/upper arm in the shoulder socket to “clear the ball around the body through release” is not efficient use of I/R to propel the ball through release. This young lady is “bleeding” power because part of her I/R is being used as a clearance tool.

Aug 21, 2008
I was just going to simply say I asked by the way her arm circle is going around, starting from the crooked, behind the back "backswing". That sets off a chain reaction of things that don't make the arm go in a straight circle. Boardmember gave you some very thorough details.

Bill

Jan 17, 2020
Bill,
Thank you for asking if my DD was having pain behind her shoulder. I'm relieved now knowing what is causing it and that we can correct it. I just want to see her get through middle school and then high school without any permanent injuries.

Jan 17, 2020
Boardmember,
Thanks for all of the info on my DD video. Definitely want her working on having correct mechanics to prevent any injuries. I think I'm going to have her go without a back swing to try and achieve a better arm circle direction. She's always had the tendency to have her arm go behind her back when pitching. Does the same thing when bowling in her league. Her ball is always barely hanging on the first or second boards because of arm direction before release. Back swing hurting her in both sports. Is there any right or wrong way to pitch without a back swing or just make sure that her upswing moves in front of her shoulder socket like you stated?
Thanks again
Steve

Mar 20, 2015
I am also interested in any advise or input on switching to no back swing. Is this any easy switch, and do they initially lose velocity? We have about a month to make this change before the tournaments start up again.

My DD has an inside back swing as well but its a different variation where she turns her shoulders a bit and then turns them back to get things on line again at about 300, but I believe there is also a loss in efficiency especially in her drive out in doing this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802