Outgrowing a team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tn,

What your expectations are is irrelevant! The point is that NO team will be able to meet all the expectations of all the players and parents. This is the reason daddyball is so prevalent.

Keith

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I think you guys are being kind of harsh on Tn. I can see his dilemma. He and his daughter signed up to play travel ball, but wound up on a team with a rec league mentality. The "honor" of playing all-stars is more important to them than their travel ball team.

It sounds like the team is a bad fit for you and your daughter. They have their goals and priorities, you have yours. I don't think you're saying you want or deserve to be on some killer team. Just that you'd like the team to work as hard at the travel ball side as they do at all-stars.

If that's the case, I'd look for another team that wants to dedicate itself to travel ball. Maybe not some fanatical team, but just a group of players, coaches and parents who have moved on from the whole rec ball thing. Just my opinion.

May 7, 2008
Ken,

There's no question their current team is a poor fit. I am simply pointing out that there is no perfect fit out there.

Keith

KAT

May 13, 2008
Ken,

There's no question their current team is a poor fit. I am simply pointing out that there is no perfect fit out there.

Keith

It sounds like a bad fit, just go to a few tryouts, talk to the coach alot before trying out on his goals, ideas, and his thoughts. Find a team that she can grow with. Make sure its a challenge without being overwhelming. She needs playing time yes, but practicing with better girls will make her better quickly. Good luck and hope you find a team. We have been in this situation before and its uncomfortable. We live in washington state the east side so our choices for high level teams are very restrictive. With that said we were able to find a team with the same goals. Now that DD has ended her sophomore year she had to make a few decisions, one being that softball is her number 2 sport. She has decided to place most of her effort into the basketball side, we will miss softball alot. I spoke with her coach the other day so she understands where we are going etc...so she can plan herself. She is sad to see her go but glad to see she is following her heart. We will finish out the year and she has invited her to play fall ball with the team. She has asked if she would be a pick up player for them during the summer time next year when she is not touring with her basketball team, we were so happy to hear she was still interested in keeping her touching the softball. It's hard to make decisions like this and very hard to tell the coach about it, it went well for us. There are some very good coaches who do care about the girls..along with wanting to play at the highest level that they can play at as a team. Just keep looking, don't be afraid to try several.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2