Outfielder Glove Upgrade

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
That's a funny looking pink glove that girl beside Marcela is wearing?? Does every girl on her team have their own personal coach standing behind them?
No I just think that was just how they lined up. I don't think they had individual coaches at the camp although Marcela did get to work with the SS during the fielding portion of the camp.

Funny story on that cast. That girl plays first base. Last tournament Marcela gloved a ball in the hole and threw over to her belt high. Well that girl stuck her throwing hand in the glove too soon and broke her thumb. Next practice one of the kids on Marcela's team (who is a pain in the arse) insisted it was Marcela's fault that she broke her hand. Marcela just shrugged it off but I thought that was amusing.

Jun 8, 2016
Take a look at the picture I just posted:

Kid I am talking about is bottom row middle (#33)..you tell me if you think she can handle a 13" glove made from quality leather... ;)

I see what your saying she is on the small side. Looks like they had a visit from Ok St players.

It was a camp..read the last few posts from me above in that thread (#25 and #26). Waste of money really but she seemed to have fun so whatever.

Apr 28, 2019
It was a camp..read the last few posts from me above in that thread (#25 and #26). Waste of money really but she seemed to have fun so whatever.
I’m a little torn with the camp thing myself. Just not sure how much they get out of it and how much coaches really pay attention especially to younger girls.
Too funny though about broken thumb. Yeah it’s my fault you can’t catch the ball properly. Really?
But your CF maybe a A2000 12.5 at best. Lightweight and run a little small IMO.

Jun 8, 2016
I’m a little torn with the camp thing myself. Just not sure how much they get out of it and how much coaches really pay attention especially to younger girls.
This is the 1st camp she has ever gone to and we only went because it was a team thing and they had scrimmages..otherwise I would have said no thank you.

I do have to say the the OK State crew did a nice job during the scrimmages providing instruction during the games ( I didn't stay during the skills portion of the camp). From what she said, the drills and instruction they gave her during the fielding part (they didn't do anything instructionally, understandably, during the hitting portion) was pretty much the same as I do with her on my own. I played MI in college so I know a bit about fielding although any drills I have done with her have been pulled from the internet..I didn't really do any drills growing up..my father just hit me balls every day in the summer ;)

Anyways, as is usual for me, I've pulled this thread off topic so I will stop now. Sorry OP.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019
This is the 1st camp she has ever gone to and we only went because it was a team thing and they had scrimmages..otherwise I would have said no thank you.

I do have to say the the OK State crew did a nice job during the scrimmages providing instruction during the games ( I didn't stay during the skills portion of the camp). From what she said, the drills and instruction they gave her during the fielding part (they didn't anything, understandably during the hitting portion) was pretty much the same as I do with her on my own.
Yeah but she may actually listen any apply what they are telling her because Us Dad’s don’t know anything sports wise in daughters eyes.
From what I understand FL ST puts on one of the best camps in the country. 4/5 Day event with lots of instruction and scrimmages. Considering this but it may cut into my bat budget!!!

Oct 5, 2018
And here they are:

20190917_172123.jpg20190917_171536.jpg

DD...Initial impressions...I like the black one

Mine ...The hand stall isn't as much of a difference as I thought it would be. The 12.5 looks better in person than pics, a hair deeper initial pocket and seems just a little softer. Until recently I had never heard of "TIP", DD has tried it. I can tell it'll make a difference in how the glove breaks in. Does feel a little odd to me, to be expected.

Lots of catch coming up.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
And here they are:

View attachment 15075View attachment 15076

DD...Initial impressions...I like the black one

Mine ...The hand stall isn't as much of a difference as I thought it would be. The 12.5 looks better in person than pics, a hair deeper initial pocket and seems just a little softer. Until recently I had never heard of "TIP", DD has tried it. I can tell it'll make a difference in how the glove breaks in. Does feel a little odd to me, to be expected.

Lots of catch coming up.
Very nice, I’ll be back and comment more later on. The black baseball model looks to have very high quality leather and great lace!

TIP will definitely make a difference in the amount of strength it’ll take for her to close the glove! TIP = more leverage!

TIP will favor closing thumb to pinky or slightly to ring finger.

Traditional will want to close thumb to more middle / index just depending on her.

For outfield, TIP with index finger inside the glove is the way to go!

Both great looking gloves, love how Mizuno has done away with velcro on their upper end FP glove, bravo!!

Oct 5, 2018
So break in and conditioning...I've read some in these forums as we've never done a quality glove. We're not in a hurry. May have some late October ball, but told her this may not be ready until spring. So what I've concluded...

No steamer, no oven, no mattress, no car, no microwave!

Hot water and beat on it (see youtube) if in a hurry. Light on the water.

Tentatively our plan, lots of catch, maybe beat on and work it a bit.

Conditioner/Oil? Lexol? All over? Not now I'm thinking but don't know

Treat inside, I've seen things mentioned to prevent sweat from penetrating.

Wrap with ball in it. Have a thigh wrap. Should it always be like this when not in use? Loose, tight, super tight, thumb under fingers?

20190917_193455.jpg20190917_193435.jpg

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
@jmatw
So which one you leaning towards the most??

As far as the break in right now, I recommend doing it dry, there’s enough oil in both of those gloves already, I recommend a bunch of daddy / daughter old fashioned catch, I recommend you absolutely keep your hand out of her gloves, I recommend some folding and hand shaping and “shoe shining” the heel and heel binding.

Do you have a 3 or 5 Lb. dumbbell? I use a 5 pounder. I use mine after I’m sure of how the glove is going to be worn, TIP or traditional, to beat and establish the thumb & pinky break points and open the glove up and pound the top of the palm to help with the pocket. I lightly hit the top of and the base of the web on the outside of the glove.

Where do you live? Hot & humid? Rainy? Super dry? Does your DD’s hands sweat a lot? When you decide which glove you’re going to keep, you’ll want to treat / protect the palm liner and finger stalls with a beeswax, either Obenauf’s or Jobsite.

As far as that glove wrap, buy yourself one of the Mizuno velcro wraps, best $10 ever spent! Anna takes the 30/40 seconds it takes to put a ball in the pocket, wrap it up, and stick the whole thing inside her helmet for protection. Never ever just let her put her glove inside of her bat bag by itself without doing what I just described, it’s hugely important!

I keep 3 glove products / chemicals here, Obenauf’s beeswax, Lexol conditioner, and Surf City Voodoo Blend conditioner, all 3 are excellent products!

Amazon product ASIN B0002X520S

Amazon product ASIN B001HOC2QS

Amazon product ASIN B001Q7VRVM

Hope this helped?

And...........try your very best to keep her glove out of a hot trunk in the Summer! And you’re right, no steamer, no oven, no microwave, none of that!

Oct 5, 2018
@jmatw
So which one you leaning towards the most??

As far as the break in right now, I recommend doing it dry, there’s enough oil in both of those gloves already, I recommend a bunch of daddy / daughter old fashioned catch, I recommend you absolutely keep your hand out of her gloves, I recommend some folding and hand shaping and “shoe shining” the heel and heel binding.

Do you have a 3 or 5 Lb. dumbbell? I use a 5 pounder. I use mine after I’m sure of how the glove is going to be worn, TIP or traditional, to beat and establish the thumb & pinky break points and open the glove up and pound the top of the palm to help with the pocket. I lightly hit the top of and the base of the web on the outside of the glove.

Where do you live? Hot & humid? Rainy? Super dry? Does your DD’s hands sweat a lot? When you decide which glove you’re going to keep, you’ll want to treat / protect the palm liner and finger stalls with a beeswax, either Obenauf’s or Jobsite.

As far as that glove wrap, buy yourself one of the Mizuno velcro wraps, best $10 ever spent! Anna takes the 30/40 seconds it takes to put a ball in the pocket, wrap it up, and stick the whole thing inside her helmet for protection. Never ever just let her put her glove inside of her bat bag by itself without doing what I just described, it’s hugely important!

I keep 3 glove products / chemicals here, Obenauf’s beeswax, Lexol conditioner, and Surf City Voodoo Blend conditioner, all 3 are excellent products!

Amazon product ASIN B0002X520S

Amazon product ASIN B001HOC2QS

Amazon product ASIN B001Q7VRVM

Hope this helped?

And...........try your very best to keep her glove out of a hot trunk in the Summer! And you’re right, no steamer, no oven, no microwave, none of that!
Thanks for all that info. She is going to work with the 12.75 BB glove. We can hang on to the other for awhile. I know we could work in both (100 day return), but it just feels wrong to return a used glove unless the one just doesn't work out. Will definitely look into treating the inside palm when time calls for it. Humidity and sweat will definitely be an issue. I've never used that stuff, I assume it goes on soft and hardens to provide a protective barrier, but hopefully doesn't change the feel much.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee