Outfielder Glove Upgrade

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Looks very roomy for a 12" glove! Does is have a size stamped anywhere in the glove? It definitely looks larger than a 12" and that one "for sale" listing had it down as a 12.75"? That is definitely some crazy heel lacing!

Looking at it on my PC here at work this morning, it looks incredibility well preserved, the leather, lace, and welting look new! If you are in fact going to use it, I'd definitely put a very thin / light coat of conditioner on it to start with........if you decide not to use it, I don't think I'd do anything to it, for now!

I tell you what I absolutely would do......with that round "R" on that wrist protector, I'd find someone to make me a wallet out of that protector!! You keep the glove, just ship me that protector and I'll handle that for you! (y);) Very cool pics jmatw!

Oct 5, 2018
Looks very roomy for a 12" glove! Does is have a size stamped anywhere in the glove? It definitely looks larger than a 12" and that one "for sale" listing had it down as a 12.75"? That is definitely some crazy heel lacing!

Looking at it on my PC here at work this morning, it looks incredibility well preserved, the leather, lace, and welting look new! If you are in fact going to use it, I'd definitely put a very thin / light coat of conditioner on it to start with........if you decide not to use it, I don't think I'd do anything to it, for now!

I tell you what I absolutely would do......with that round "R" on that wrist protector, I'd find someone to make me a wallet out of that protector!! You keep the glove, just ship me that protector and I'll handle that for you! (y);) Very cool pics jmatw!
I did not see a size anywhere. As I mentioned, I thought the basket end of the glove seemed large and deep (softball specific). I put her current Rawlings 12.5 Gamer next to it and it seems a little longer overall, with that extra length being in the hand wrist area. But that glove is flappy squashed down at this point.

This to me was before softball made a big splash, just before the 96 Atlanta Olympics. With that wrist protector, must be softball specific. Do you think they made many high end fastpitch specific gloves at this time and is that wrist protector VERY unique, like have you seen that before?

Oct 1, 2014
USA
This post took an interesting turn with that old Rawlings, I have never seen that attached wrist protector on any glove before.

Back to the original poster, jppoker....tell us what glove you went with and how it's working out for your DD!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I did not see a size anywhere. As I mentioned, I thought the basket end of the glove seemed large and deep (softball specific). I put her current Rawlings 12.5 Gamer next to it and it seems a little longer overall, with that extra length being in the hand wrist area. But that glove is flappy squashed down at this point.

This to me was before softball made a big splash, just before the 96 Atlanta Olympics. With that wrist protector, must be softball specific. Do you think they made many high end fastpitch specific gloves at this time and is that wrist protector VERY unique, like have you seen that before?
Heck, they still don't make any high end fastpitch specific gloves as far as I'm concerned!! Where are you? I'm from the South (NC) and in 1996 fastpitch was non-existent here, slow pitch softball absolutely ruled, for men and women, even in high school, it was SP around here, only!!

That glove just may be a slow pitch glove? With the wrist protector, it could serve as a pitcher and/or a catcher's glove!

Oct 5, 2018
This post took an interesting turn with that old Rawlings, I have never seen that attached wrist protector on any glove before.

Back to the original poster, jppoker....tell us what glove you went with and how it's working out for your DD!
Yes, sorry to hijack. I thought about creating a new post, last night but didn't. It's looking more likely I may still be in the market for OF glove as well. I'm in the StL area. I graduated HS in 99. We had a softball team. I always assumed it was FP, but I guess I never went to a game so idk but now I'll find out.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Yes, sorry to hijack. I thought about creating a new post, last night but didn't. It's looking more likely I may still be in the market for OF glove as well. I'm in the StL area. I graduated HS in 99. We had a softball team. I always assumed it was FP, but I guess I never went to a game so idk but now I'll find out.
Haha, I go a bit farther back than that and went to school in Western NY where we had a HS softball team also, I was good friends with a bunch of the girls on the team but I honestly don't remember ever going to one of their games. Fast forward 45 yrs and I'm a rabid fan of Fastpitch. Few weeks ago I was back East visiting and ran into a couple of those girls (ladies) who used to play...great conversation!!

Oct 5, 2018

I like both of these All-star options here, the Vela is a smoking deal, of course if it were my money I'd spent the extra and buy the System Seven baseball glove before they're all gone! Absolutely no comparison in quality between the two!
I find these all stars interesting.

I think this is the same vela sold directly and its $110 shipped for the RHT, little cheaper:

Notice they also have this one:

I assume both are a step down from the system 7. And not sure of the return policy. I'd really like to try these somewhere first with this 3 finger design (advantage of justgloves i guess).

Oct 5, 2018

So I think after a day of thinking, this thing would be a bear to break in. It is VERY rigid and may not be a great fit for a gamer anyway. So unless I change my mind, what should I do with this thing. "Nothing for now." Wrap it up and bury it in a closet, keep it out on display, since it does seem dry should I be concerned about that though it's so virgin would it be good to condition it. Ultimately this wasn't my plan and I'm not a collector but I'm leaning towards just holding onto this now and who knows passing to the DD to hold onto down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802