Outfield - Where to throw the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
At the younger levels (10u and 12u) I have resorted to OF always throwing to 2B which eliminates all confusion. Once they have that down we can progress from there.

1. OF should always throw to a base. Period. Always. Period.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not sure I understand your post.

If the ball gets behind them we still have players that can not make that throw.

Always throw towards 2nd with cutoff when needed?

May 17, 2012
I am not sure I understand your post.

If the ball gets behind them we still have players that can not make that throw.

Always throw towards 2nd with cutoff when needed?

OF always throws to a base. When they can't throw it far enough (ball gets behind them) they will need a relay.

The cue for my SS/2B (whomever you use) is that if they can see the numbers on the OF's back (because they are chasing the ball) they will probably need a relay. Even in the case where the ball gets behind the outfield the OF is still throwing to a base (and not the relay). The relay should know the teammate (arm strength) and move accordingly.

A routine single to left field DOES NOT NEED A RELAY TO SECOND BASE. (a huge pet peeve of mine at the older levels).

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
OF always throws to a base. When they can't throw it far enough (ball gets behind them) they will need a relay.

The cue for my SS/2B (whomever you use) is that if they can see the numbers on the OF's back (because they are chasing the ball) they will probably need a relay. Even in the case where the ball gets behind the outfield the OF is still throwing to a base (and not the relay). The relay should know the teammate (arm strength) and move accordingly.

A routine single to left field DOES NOT NEED A RELAY TO SECOND BASE. (a huge pet peeve of mine at the older levels)

On a routine single with no runners on base why does the throw need to go to 2nd base if the runner is not trying to advance? Please keep track of the number of extra bases your team gives up because of errant throws to 2nd with no runner trying to advance and get back to use at the end of the season.

May 17, 2012
On a routine single with no runners on base why does the throw need to go to 2nd base if the runner is not trying to advance? Please keep track of the number of extra bases your team gives up because of errant throws to 2nd with no runner trying to advance and get back to use at the end of the season.

One way to tell a good coach from a poor coach is to watch how they perform cuts and relays. We gave up ZERO extra bases on errant throws to 2B last year.

The reason is that the RF is moving to a backup position (the sandwich) in this particular case. We practice this on every single on every single to LF so it becomes second nature to all of the moving pieces. When a single is hit to LF that is slightly to their right and the runner is thinking about taking 2B I don't have to worry about the SS cutting the ball or the RF not being in position to backup the throw. We have ingrained that OF always throw to a base. Everyone knows the drill.

Offensively we take advantage of teams that are lazy and cut singles to LF. We identify these poorly coached teams early and tell our girls with speed to make a had turn at 1B on singles so we can snag extra bases when they are sleeping.

Just watch some high level teams and notice which ones always throw to a base and which ones don't.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
One of my pet peeves has always been outfielders who throw the ball to 2nd with bases empty on a single. Field the ball, find the runner, if the runner is trying to advance, throw to 2nd, if the runner is holding at 1st, get the ball to your cut off and let them run it in. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen an errant throw from the OF to 2nd FOR NO REASON allow a runner to advance one or two bases. This also trains the OF to find the runner and not to make longer throws than necessary.
Sometimes you have to use your best judgement. If I thought a runner MIGHT be trying to take an extra base I was damn well coming up throwing to that base if I could. But yeah a lot of times common sense will tell you where to throw the ball. Other times taking the time to find the runner before throwing could be the difference between safe and out on a close play.

But I feel special having a nearly 6 year old post quoted.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Unique to softball but when my DD plays RF she throws it to 1st more then any other player, seems to work out well for her.

We have gotten force outs and tagged runners out not paying attention and rounding the base.

Aug 5, 2015
If you are up 3 runs late in the game with a runner on 2nd you don't want another runner in scoring position so often the best throw is to 2B to keep another runner out of scoring position.
This is a situation where you actually should gamble on a throw home even with a low likelihood of success - the batter-runner isn't the go ahead or tying run and thus there isn't much benefit to keeping them out of scoring position.

Jun 11, 2013
This is a situation where you actually should gamble on a throw home even with a low likelihood of success - the batter-runner isn't the go ahead or tying run and thus there isn't much benefit to keeping them out of scoring position.

I mistyped, it should have been 2. Thanks for catching. Although up 3 I still would rather keep the force at second assuming the 3b coach wouldn't gamble in that situation, but that's a different issue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478