Outfield Positioning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Before reaction off the bat, anticipating that the ball is going to be hit to you on every pitch. That mindset will give defenders a better reaction time off the bat. Infielders too.Expect the ball! It's coming to you!
This mindset is the difference between having good range and great range. Good player or great player. The game is mental.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
ALL players should have great reaction time and jump on the ball.

Running speed and throwing speed being critical to covering large distance = outfielder.

If a hit inside a 210 ft fence shouldn't be more than a double...
why create a situation (shift & open a gap) where an outfielder would be farther away from a hit ball to the fence that could create a triple and clear the bases.

And Unless the shift of the Outfield catches a fly ball batter is still getting a single at least.

imo Shift is unnecessary
*and I think actually puts more pressure on the pitcher to throw her location correctly. Because of the extra large territory it opens up to the fence. Never want the ball to be beyond your outfielders.

Dec 11, 2010
Bad first step trumps running speed

That is related to reading the ball off the bat but players who can read the ball off the bat but are in the habit of stepping forward on every ball are bad outfielders and get burned constantly.

This dumb little thing often goes un-corrected at the highest level.

If you see a d1 outfielder get burned, back up the video and look at her first step. You will be surprised how often it’s true.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

That is related to reading the ball off the bat but players who can read the ball off the bat but are in the habit of stepping forward on every ball are bad outfielders and get burned constantly.

If you see a d1 outfielder get burned, back up the video and look at her first step. You will be surprised how often it’s true.
Agree that first step is important but that is important for the entire defense.
= Reaction time.

Also see Outfield getting burned when they are running instead of sprinting.

While do see that some athletes will get a better jump on the ball than others,
Running speed can still close the gap.

Timing distance running speeds is probably more obvious when there is a mixture of skills levels.
3.0 to 60' feet vs. 5.0 to 60'
Is a big noticeable reason why some players never make it to the Outfield.
Some players are obviously faster Runners over distance than others.
Probably more apparent at average levels than it would be at D1 where players are much closer to each other in their running speeds.
With outfielders who are all 3.0 to 60 ft. One having bad jump would be noticeable.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
Everybody always says it's easier to make a catch coming in than going back, but I've never found this to actually be true. I'm not sure it even makes sense logically for anybody who can properly read a fly ball. It's hard for me to explain, but it has to do with running toward/against the direction of the ball and running with the flight of the ball. It's also not easy to dive forward (sliding catches are easier, but still difficult), and knowing if/when you need to make that move adds a level of difficulty. The one caveat: A hard line drive hit directly at and over the head of the CF is very difficult to judge, but if it's angled at all, you just drop step, run like hell, and catch the ball. The real problem is most coaches don't give OFs enough reps reading balls over their heads for them to become good at it.

Positioning is a matter of preference so not saying you're wrong to play them deeper, but I don't like the philosophy. I believe in making the other team earn it. I want my OF a bit on the shallow side until the offense proves they can hit it over their heads (we play a bit deeper on turf fields, and even deeper when we play on a turf field with no fence to have a better chance of cutting off balls on the ground). Those dinky singles kill us, not the once-per-game ball over an outfielder's head.

I get the logic behind playing deeper, and it's not always bad, but I see so many games where I'm not sure a hitter can actually hit a ball over an OFs head without it going over the fence and I wonder why the heck they're so deep as the offense drops in base hit after base hit all game.
I think the theory is you can run faster forward than you can going back.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

I see that first step in towards the ball all the time. Most don't practice fielding hard hit line drives. Have your fielders play serious defense during batting practice.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD

Bingo!

Apr 14, 2022
Top mlb range factors 9/inn vs speed rank only for center fielders.

1- 32 fastest
2- 16 fastest
3- 37 fastest
4- 5 fastest
5- fastest

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478