Outfield Glove for Player With Small Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2015
you don't like Kip? too floppy too fast?
All ball glove leather is a byproduct of the beef industry. No one raises cows for the hides. Auto, luggage, clothing, handbags.... get the best. Whats left gets built into gloves and such. All the fancy internet names are garbage. Just marketing.

Soft supple leather is more than likely from a heifer who has given birth. The skin stretches breaking its structure making it less resilient. "Game ready/easy break in type stuff is made from cheap stretched out just. @thecat

Jun 26, 2020
All ball glove leather is a byproduct of the beef industry. No one raises cows for the hides. Auto, luggage, clothing, handbags.... get the best. Whats left gets built into gloves and such. All the fancy internet names are garbage. Just marketing.

Soft supple leather is more than likely from a heifer who has given birth. The skin stretches breaking its structure making it less resilient. "Game ready/easy break in type stuff is made from cheap stretched out just. @thecat
All right except for the heifer part. Heifers have not given birth, so their belly skin is not stretched.

Cowhides can literally be from any cow. There's no designation. Steer hides come from neutered bulls because that's what America eats.

Kip leather is gloves is mostly calfskin. It can also be from several other critters. It's thinner and lighter typically. A lot of smoke and mirrors there

Horween is a tannery. Not a type of leather. It makes me giggle a bit. They're really known for horsehide and their process is fantastic. For gloves they'll be supplying plain old chrome tan leather. They supply the NBA and NFL with leather for basketballs and footballs

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I believe Pro Taper is Rawlings version. My daughter is also 18 and currently uses the 11 3/4 HOH Rawlings Softball in the OF at the recommendation of a Local Softball instructor. She had a Vinci 13” trapezoid that she hated due to its size as well as a 12.5” Vinci. She like the 12.5 but due to her smaller hands she would have a ball here and there pop out of glove. Since shifting to the smaller Rawlings glove nothing has popped out of her glove. I watch a ton of college softball on ESPN and see plenty of balls popping out of girls oversized mitts. I am glad we were recommended using the smaller glove in the OF.

I'm glad it works for her, but it seems absolutely insane to use such a small glove in the outfield. And, FWIW, I've had the exact opposite experience with a ton of girls. They struggle to catch anything with the tiny IF gloves, but as soon as they start using a real OF glove, the ball stops popping out.

Dec 24, 2012
Chicago, IL
I'm glad it works for her, but it seems absolutely insane to use such a small glove in the outfield. And, FWIW, I've had the exact opposite experience with a ton of girls. They struggle to catch anything with the tiny IF gloves, but as soon as they start using a real OF glove, the ball stops popping out.
I guess everyone’s hand is different, she made numerous Diving catches with a smaller mitt that there’s no chance she would’ve made with a bigger mitt. And again I’m with you I tried to buy her a bigger glove because normal thinking is bigger mitt. Here’s her REAL outfield mitt but she just couldn’t use due to being way too big. It was pretty though lol

Attachments

• 5DEF372B-3E99-4D10-BD5A-198D7E10B5EB.jpeg
    5DEF372B-3E99-4D10-BD5A-198D7E10B5EB.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 30
May 23, 2015
I guess everyone’s hand is different, she made numerous Diving catches with a smaller mitt that there’s no chance she would’ve made with a bigger mitt. And again I’m with you I tried to buy her a bigger glove because normal thinking is bigger mitt. Here’s her REAL outfield mitt but she just couldn’t use due to being way too big. It was pretty though lol
Absolutely correct. The length of the glove has nothing to do with whether or not you an catch the ball. If you can catch a ball barehanded you can catch it with any glove. Infielders see a lot of quick plays especially at the corners a heavy/bigger glove can slow your reaction time. Even 1st base mitts are very light and maneuverable.

Heavy gloves kill your groove in the field. Ive seen it a lot. Surprisingly the vast majority of players I work with don't know how to wear their glove or properly catch with it because they were never taught. Their gloves are rarely if ever broken in properly

Dec 10, 2018
We went through the same thing with my now 14u DD. She plays the outfield exclusively and we really struggled finding a glove that was a good balance of size (she not a big girl), materials, and quality. We looked at literally a dozen gloves from wilson, vinci, Allstar, etc. but ended up getting a Rawlings Liberty Advanced 12.5 and she's now catching basically everything she can get close too. It took a little work getting it broke in properly, but we've been very pleased with the performance. I think I paid around $180 for it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802