Outfield Glove 13yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
ours was game ready in 5 days
Larger leather panels move easier, and something about Vinci's black leather, it's just softer.

The very first Vinci we ever owned was a 12" Kip Tan custom that Casey had made for Anna when she was 12. That glove rivaled some of the stiffest / toughest Horween gloves I've owned, it took a half a year to get properly broken in!
101.jpg

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
For $200.00, I'd build her a custom Marucci Cypress baseball glove and call it a day! No offence to the Vinci fans here, but there's no comparison, not even close! Custom Marucci's are the best deal going in ball gloves right now!

Aug 3, 2018
Looked at the custom Marucci Cypress, now have a bunch of questions.
When I choose outfield for position I get 2 options for shape: Dual Wide or Standard, no clue what to choose
Size I was thinking 12.75"? Also offered in 12.5" though
Web style we are thinking H web
Finger hood/pad options are: none, index or middle finger pad, or index or middle finger hood. We again have no clue:)
Also an option for 3D molded thumb & pinky inserts
Hand position straight or shift?
Hand size just has medium or large, will choose medium. Daughter is petite with narrow hands just making sure the medium won't still be too big.
At $200 this seems like a great deal, thanks!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Looked at the custom Marucci Cypress, now have a bunch of questions.
When I choose outfield for position I get 2 options for shape: Dual Wide or Standard, no clue what to choose
Size I was thinking 12.75"? Also offered in 12.5" though
Web style we are thinking H web
Finger hood/pad options are: none, index or middle finger pad, or index or middle finger hood. We again have no clue:)
Also an option for 3D molded thumb & pinky inserts
Hand position straight or shift?
Hand size just has medium or large, will choose medium. Daughter is petite with narrow hands just making sure the medium won't still be too big.
At $200 this seems like a great deal, thanks!
***For skinny fingers I'd do the duel wide, which is dual welting. The RV1961 has dual welting, it pulls the leather in and makes the finger stalls tighter.

***Between 12.5" and 12.75", sorry, you'll have to answer that one yourself. If she's still going to pitch with her old 12" glove, and this new glove is strictly for outfield, then personally I'd probably go for the 12.75". But for her young age, 12.5" may be more manageable?

***Go with the H-web, it's just the perfect do-all web!

***NO FINGER HOOD!!! Does she keep her index finger inside the glove or outside? Does she wear her glove traditional or Two-in-the Pinky (TIP). If she keeps her index inside, then no finger pad needed. If index outside you can go either way, I've never really liked finger pads but in the last few years I've started liking them, personal preference.

***Sorry, I'll have to read up on their 3D finger inserts, not familiar with them? But I'd bet it's just stiffening (firm) options?

***Hand position....if this is going to be a dedicated OF glove, I'd definitely opt for the shift to wear it TIP, best option for outfield! And if it's going to be her dedicated OF glove I'd make her keep her index finger inside....so, no need to worry about a finger pad!

***As far as hand stall size, yeah medium, or the smallest they'll go, it's a custom so there should be a option to adjust the wrist to the smallest setting, and wearing it TIP will help tremendously with hand strength closing the glove, plus wearing it TIP will help fill up the hand stall more than traditional.

I will tell you, their Toffee Tan leather is gorgeous! Now that I think about it, for a 13 year old, and getting her to wear it TIP, I'd probably go with the 12.5" size.

Hope this helped.

Aug 3, 2018
Thank you so much, this was a huge help. I'm looking at the baseball Custom Cypress M Type series. Hopefully that's the right one
She keeps her index finger in & I think she is wearing her glove TIP. So we'll go with no hood or pad & a shift. This will probably be a dedicated OF glove, right now she likes her small, light Vinci for pitching. It's 12" but looks small & has the mesh back so it's light. That's why we're trying to decide if a 12.75 will be too big of a jump.
She'll definitely check out the toffee tan, was already talking about wanting a black & tan glove.
On the Marucci website the 3D finger inserts are called their C type fit system this is the info on it: https://maruccisports.com/fielding-gloves/c-type/
'Size-specific, ergonomically shaped fit system creates a more form fitting hand stall for greater control, leverage and responsiveness when fielding. Strategically constructed multi-layered sheepskin palm lining drastically reduces weight while preserving glove structure.'
Might help fill up the hand stall for her?

Dec 20, 2019
Since u r going to do a custom Marucci, i would choose their magnolia line over the cypress, mag line is for fast pitch which has a smaller hand stall for a tighter female hand. I would custom a 13 inches mag with the h web. Since the mag line will likely fit your dd's smaller handa and fingers. Good luck.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
On the Marucci website the 3D finger inserts are called their C type fit system this is the info on it: https://maruccisports.com/fielding-gloves/c-type/
That’s basically their C-MOD option that Scott Carpenter brought to Marucci, only nowhere near as extreme. If I were you I’d call and talk to a Marucci rep and tell them your DD‘s likes and dislikes, age, hand size and see what they say?

I‘m familiar with Carpenter Trade, Scott Carpenter’s company, but I’m not too familiar with what Marucci is doing with Scott’s C-MOD design he brought to Marucci’s table?

They use Scott’s C-MOD insides / guts just in the thumb and pinky at Marucci, Scott used to use his synthetic C-MOD design inside the entire hand stall at his company.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad