Outfield Error/Scorekeeping Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2022
Being somewhat new to softball, they had a situation that came up this past Saturday on my daughter's 14u team. The batter hit a soft pop fly in between the 2nd baseman, 1st baseman and the RF. The RF charged towards the ball for about 40ft and the ball was dropping. The RF laid out to try and make the catch as she was going to the ground the ball hit in her glove and bounced out. The scorekeeper on the team marked it an error and the girl's mom questioned if that should have been considered an error. The parents on the team were split on the topic since it wasn't a routine fly ball catch, but the scorekeeper said since it was in her glove she should have caught it even though she laid out for it. It would have been an outstanding play if she would have caught it.

I've read a few threads that seem to suggest if a fielder dives to make a play it shouldn't be considered an error, but none of them really mention the ball hitting in the glove and coming out as part of the discussion. Should this have been considered an error?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
That’s never an error. If you have to dive, not an error. Heck, oven if you miss judge the ball, then dive, not an error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 9, 2021
Was the scorekeeper the pitcher's parent? That's the only reason that would be scored an error.
I was going to say the same thing...it depends if the scorekeeper is the pitchers mom or dad. LOL!

Here is one...my DD pitching, line drive ripped back at her, puts glove out on instinct while getting out of the way, ball hits glove, bounces off towards 2nd. Scorekeeper...error..."because it touched her glove." :ROFLMAO:

Feb 12, 2014
That's a hit. If the fielder has to leave her feet to make the play, then it's always a hit.

Here's my general rule - If I think to myself, "Wow, nice play," then it would have been a hit if the player hadn't made it. It's always subjective.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom