out of base path rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Ok here you go for the scenario.

two strikes no runners on no outs. Pitcher throws pitch, pitch is so far outside catcher misses ball but defelcts it to the right side of the backstop. Ump regardless calls STRIKE THree. Batter has presence to recognize dropped ball and begins to run to first. Catcher scrambles and fields ball along dugout fence (ie way to the right). First basemen sees catcher way to the right and lines up outside the baseline with foot onthe Safety base. Runner seeing firstbasemen veers to the left and heads for the white base. Catchers throw beans runner in the head as she is tagging white base.

Whats the call? safe or out?

(in the game the home plate ump called the player safe. Opposing coach protested to first base ump. After 10minute ump conference the umps reversed the call saying the base runner ahd interfered because they were out of the base path)

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Im not a rules junkie, but i know the spirit of the baseline rule is to provide the catcher with a clear throwing lane down first base line. In my oppinion, if the ball is being thrown from somewhere else on the field besides the home plate area, the baseline rule should go out the window & a runner being hit would not be causing interference.

Jun 10, 2008
If I understand your scenario correctly, you are describing it from the look of home plate so the ball that you describe as moving way to the right is on the first baseline side of the field, if that is correct then your player was correct in what she did. I believe that the umpire crew missed this call because the throw was off target if the runner was hit in the back while running to the white bag, and because of the movement of the first baseman to the safety bag the runner should move into the baseline to allow the "clear throwing lane" that the rule states.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Don't have my rulebook handy to quote it exactly, but I know the rules state the player must use the safety base unless the fielder moves to the safety base to take a throw. In that case, the runner must go to the white base.

The runner was correct. The umpires need to read their rulebooks.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I agree, the umpires missed this call. Question; when the call was reversed, did the offensive coach come out and talk to the umpires? Sounds like the plate ump had the call correct.

Jul 28, 2008
ASA Rule8, Section 2E:

Batter-runner is out, when;
When the batter-runner runs outside the three-foot lane and, in the umpire’s judgment, interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base; however, the batter-runner may run outside the three-foot lane to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball. When the defensive player uses the colored portion of the double base, the batter-runner can run in fair territory when the throw is coming from the foul side of first base, and if hit by the thrown ball, it is not interference. If intentional interference is ruled, the runner is out.

May 7, 2008
Thanks, all you agreed with what we thought, Safe. The offensive coach tried to reason but the umps were not in a mood to talk by then. Sad thing was two batters later a HR was hit and the contested runner was the winning run in a game that was evenutally lost in three innings of ITB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad