out going to second after a walk

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
It's a little bush league at 10U to be sending runners to 2nd IMO. Just steal on the next pitch anyway and try to get a throw. I've never seen a 10U team defend it and not sure I've seen a 12U team defend it too well either.

But I would say the ump got it wrong as I understand the rule.

I guess I just don't like teaching girls plays/strategies that they will rarely if ever be doing when they get older or play at a higher level. My HS team will get an easy out if you try it and most of the teams we play will do the same to us. So why teach something at 10/12 that you won't be doing in 2-4 more years?

The most enjoyable time I ever had coaching 10U was when they had a no steal home policy. Made the league so much better. Had to actually earn your runs instead of waiting for the inevitable past ball.

Softball needs to amend rules a little better for the different age groups IMO.

I saw a bunch of imaginative baserunning in 10/12U "competitive ball" that gets you put out quickly at 16/18U. Most of it goes away, but people still try that running to 2B with a runner on 3B when the game isn't on the line, and more often than not, DD's team gets an out either at 2B or Home.

May 29, 2015
I know this has probably been covered elsewhere but on either a walk or clean outfield single, how do you EXACTLY coach a player to do the go to second after a brief delay thing?

Can they take a short turn, a step or two (but off the base) Yes...

and then STOP completely. Yes...

Wait. ...DEAD BALL! RUNNER IS OUT!

And then when pitcher no longer is looking and fielders ignore her as well, take off for second?

Is that a legal play and are those steps that you would tell a player in order to execute taking second base legally?

So not so much a rule question as a coaching/how do you teach it legally question. Tks.

Some dependency on rule set, but mainly the answers are above in red.

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah i think i mentioned that up thread. I knew that was the case for protest. I guess they had a lot of delays for protested calls.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Right. I was more commenting on the fact I never have $200 on me. Unless I just robbed a bank. But I tend to do that on non-tournament weekends.

Oct 4, 2018
It's a little bush league at 10U to be sending runners to 2nd IMO. Just steal on the next pitch anyway and try to get a throw. I've never seen a 10U team defend it and not sure I've seen a 12U team defend it too well either.

But I would say the ump got it wrong as I understand the rule.

I guess I just don't like teaching girls plays/strategies that they will rarely if ever be doing when they get older or play at a higher level. My HS team will get an easy out if you try it and most of the teams we play will do the same to us. So why teach something at 10/12 that you won't be doing in 2-4 more years?

The most enjoyable time I ever had coaching 10U was when they had a no steal home policy. Made the league so much better. Had to actually earn your runs instead of waiting for the inevitable past ball.

Softball needs to amend rules a little better for the different age groups IMO.

Our girls (on the 10U team) loved going to second on a walk with a runner on 3B.

I asked them not to, for a few reasons:

1. As the first base coach I wanted to chat with them quickly about their at bat
2. It feels busch league to me
3. I'd rather they work on their lead offs and steals

... and now reading your post, I agree that why learn something that will get you gunned down in a season or two.

Parents thought their kids were soooooooo clever going to second on a walk. They didn't like that I asked the girls not to. :(

Nov 18, 2013
Our girls (on the 10U team) loved going to second on a walk with a runner on 3B.

I asked them not to, for a few reasons:

1. As the first base coach I wanted to chat with them quickly about their at bat
2. It feels busch league to me
3. I'd rather they work on their lead offs and steals

... and now reading your post, I agree that why learn something that will get you gunned down in a season or two.

Parents thought their kids were soooooooo clever going to second on a walk. They didn't like that I asked the girls not to. :(

I agree with all of your points except that they'll gunned down in a season or two. Taking second with runners on first and third to lure a throw to second while the runner takes home is very common at the higher levels. I don't like seeing it at 10U, but it's something girls will have to learn to defend. Most teams can't, that's why it's so common, even at the highest levels.

Oct 4, 2018
I agree with all of your points except that they'll gunned down in a season or two. Taking second with runners on first and third to lure a throw to second while the runner takes home is very common at the higher levels. I don't like seeing it at 10U, but it's something girls will have to learn to defend. Most teams can't, that's why it's so common, even at the highest levels.

Interesting...

So in 10U (at the B level where we play), no team we've played has ever tried to get the player out going to second. Teams have learned and have been taught at least not to throw the ball all over the field letting players score.

But here's what happens:

1. The runner gets to second
2. The runner on third doesn't score
3. The team struggles to get outs and both runners often score anyway

So I asked my pitcher to wait until the batter/runner is committed to taking second and throw to the SS covering and tag them out. Runner on 3B scores.

What happens is that we have another out and have cleared the bases. For us, that's a better outcome. Most times I'd rather have 2 outs, no one on (with a run scored) than 1 out, runner on second and third. Less pressure on the pitcher, usually fewer runs scored come the end of the half inning, and gets us up to bat sooner.

And in 10U, the girls waltzing to second after a walk with a runner on third are pretty stunned when thrown out. :p

Mar 7, 2016
we actually have a play on our wrist band for take ball 4 steal second and use it when needed. to defend we have practiced everything we could think of against our speedy girls on third. Even putting the biggest arm on the team at ss or 2 and trying to tag and go home. Maybe this skill comes with age and more strength we are a solid 12UB team.

The one thing that has worked more times then not is having the catcher snap back to pitcher immediately and turn to watch the runner, wait for the runner to be halfway then FAKE throw to 2nd and snap to third. This caused more pickles then anything during games often ending up with a girl on 2 and an out.

I did watch a team we played against snap back to pitcher and pitcher snaps to first base who stood in the base path and just waited for the girl at third to go. When we hesitated and girl went back to third they snapped back to pitcher and then very next play we stole second only to have their catcher fake throw to 2 and get us in a pickle at third.

seemed like a lot of work to delay a steal by one play. but they got the out

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Yeah i think i mentioned that up thread. I knew that was the case for protest. I guess they had a lot of delays for protested calls.

No, they just don’t want coaches to lodge frivolous protests over every call that doesn’t go their way.

This just totally floors me. The protest is a tool in the coach’s tool kit that, by rule, allows him/her to legally seek a final ruling that he/she feels an umpire got wrong. Why include such a ridiculous disincentive that, for almost all intents and purposes, forces the coach to eat the call instead of getting it right?

It’s easy for umpires to screw up a ruling, especially when we work for multiple sanctions that have different rulings for the same violation. I sometimes have to think twice to deconflict a ruling between NCAA, NFHS and USA. If I get it wrong, I welcome a coach to protest it so we can get it right. It doesn’t bruise my ego. And it shouldn’t require him/her to pony up so much as a fricking dime. But that’s me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 6, 2018
No, they just don’t want coaches to lodge frivolous protests over every call that doesn’t go their way.

This just totally floors me. The protest is a tool in the coach’s tool kit that, by rule, allows him/her to legally seek a final ruling that he/she feels an umpire got wrong. Why include such a ridiculous disincentive that, for almost all intents and purposes, forces the coach to eat the call instead of getting it right?

It’s easy for umpires to screw up a ruling, especially when we work for multiple sanctions that have different rulings for the same violation. I sometimes have to think twice to deconflict a ruling between NCAA, NFHS and USA. If I get it wrong, I welcome a coach to protest it so we can get it right. It doesn’t bruise my ego. And it shouldn’t require him/her to pony up so much as a fricking dime. But that’s me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah. I honestly thought the fee was when you protest a roster or birth certificate of a player. But no it's for any call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802