out going to second after a walk

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Unless there is some tournament specific rules, you should continue to do it, have a copy of the rules and case plays in your hand and pay the protest fee.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mar 6, 2018
UPDATE: The tournament was a GotGame tourney. We played in another tourney this weekend put on by them. I found the director at this tourney and asked for clarification. He told me there was no such rule, as expected, and that next time we should protest the ruling. To do that you must put up $200 cash and that stops the game timer until the director can be reached and a ruling made. You win you keep the money, you lose you are out of $200.

To clarify to original ump told our coach that if the pitcher had her foot on the rubber with the ball the base runner could not round first at all. I asked him between innings and he told me she only needed one foot in the circle and the ball in hand, and not a look back violation either.

The director is going to contact that ump in question.....hopefully. He seemed annoyed that he made that call.

Sep 17, 2009
I know this has probably been covered elsewhere but on either a walk or clean outfield single, how do you EXACTLY coach a player to do the go to second after a brief delay thing?

Can they take a short turn, a step or two (but off the base) and then STOP completely. Wait. And then when pitcher no longer is looking and fielders ignore her as well, take off for second?

Is that a legal play and are those steps that you would tell a player in order to execute taking second base legally?

So not so much a rule question as a coaching/how do you teach it legally question. Tks.

Apr 20, 2015
Go to the pgf videos from the last couple of years and watch any of bill Conroy's bandits teams

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 4, 2019
It's a little bush league at 10U to be sending runners to 2nd IMO. Just steal on the next pitch anyway and try to get a throw. I've never seen a 10U team defend it and not sure I've seen a 12U team defend it too well either.

But I would say the ump got it wrong as I understand the rule.

I guess I just don't like teaching girls plays/strategies that they will rarely if ever be doing when they get older or play at a higher level. My HS team will get an easy out if you try it and most of the teams we play will do the same to us. So why teach something at 10/12 that you won't be doing in 2-4 more years?

The most enjoyable time I ever had coaching 10U was when they had a no steal home policy. Made the league so much better. Had to actually earn your runs instead of waiting for the inevitable past ball.

Softball needs to amend rules a little better for the different age groups IMO.

Mar 6, 2018
It's a little bush league at 10U to be sending runners to 2nd IMO. Just steal on the next pitch anyway and try to get a throw. I've never seen a 10U team defend it and not sure I've seen a 12U team defend it too well either.

I guess I just don't like teaching girls plays/strategies that they will rarely if ever be doing when they get older or play at a higher level. My HS team will get an easy out if you try it and most of the teams we play will do the same to us. So why teach something at 10/12 that you won't be doing in 2-4 more years?

The most enjoyable time I ever had coaching 10U was when they had a no steal home policy. Made the league so much better. Had to actually earn your runs instead of waiting for the inevitable past ball.

it's done to have a runner standing on second and to potentially draw a throw so the runner goes from third to home. If you wait to steal on the pitch you could be giving up a strike for your batter or grounding into a double play.

That said id be fine if there WAS a rule that you couldn't go to second on the walk, at this age level. But i do see it done at all ages not just 10u and 12u. The older girls try to pick you between 2nd and 1st then come home with the throw.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2013

I agree bush league at 10U. Once they get to around 14U they need to be working on it. It's very common to see in college and a fair amount of the time it works.

Apr 20, 2015

It is actually used at the highest levels of softball. Watched several d1 teams do this on TV this year and it's common in pgf at all levels. Most coaches don't trust their hitters enough to sacrifice a possible out...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802