Our journey is over for the most part

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 14, 2010
As many on here are aware I've shared Brookes journey to get a HLS on this site since she was 12yo. There's been many up and downs during this journey but its a necessary part of the journey.

I honestly don't know how her college career will go but I know in my heart she's prepared and more than willing to achieve what she wants and that's all a parent can ask.

I will leave with some advice though. This site has been a great source of info and debate and I hope people continue to share video of their kids because it helps so many not just your own. There's A LOT of back and fort now and I've personally been a contributing factor in that until I promised to not post anymore.

It's hard to believe that my time with Brooke is over for the most part. I didn't hit me until our drive home. As a parent I never realized just how much I love my kids. Softball has afforded Brooke and I so much time together. I ALREADY miss her and I honestly don't know what to do with all the free time now that we aren't hitting for hours every night.

Every time I look at her now I can't help but picture that little girl sitting in the grass in tee ball just bored out of her mind. I took hitting WAY too seriously and I let some precious moments go by because I was so blinded by making sure Brooke achieved a HLS. Don't take these moments for granted parents because they are gone before you know.

Another thing I wish I knew was softball isn't about the all mighty scholarship, it's about spending time with your kid/kids and watching them smile. So when people say to you, " I can't believe you spend that much money and time on softball when you could've paid for college with that money", you just tell them I spent my money & my time on my kid/kids so they would know that they are loved.

There's been 2 occasions where I've lost it and shed some tears in my life. The first was when a friend/mentor passed away and the second was Thursday after I dropped Brooke off and headed home. I've never felt such a deep void in my life than when I looked in my mirror and realized that Brooke wasn't in the back seat all dirty and sweaty from a long day at the park.

Give your kids a hug tonight guys because before you know it they are in a different state. I wish everyone the best and good luck on your journey.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Nice post. The time does go by fast.

You did take hitting seriously. You personally felt what you were teaching your daughter. You showed her what it was like to have passion for something ... and that's big ... and it can come back to pay dividends in many ways.

Regarding what to do with all your free time .... you can do like what I do and work on developing hitters. That's how I spent my morning (Saturday). I'll spend 6hrs doing that on Sunday ... and I'll spend 1-4hrs after work doing this Monday-Friday. You can continue to share and let others benefit from your passion.

Wish you and Brooke the very best!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
crankermo, first keep posting here because it will help you by helping others. I know this from experience. You have a much tougher day coming and that is the last day when it really is over. I watched BB start crying in the 6th inning of the Super Regional and when the game ended, there wasn't a dry eye in the stands. Between that time and now, Brooke will need you so much. Sometimes, just for support. Sometimes, you might find yourself headed on a very long drive to work with her. Brooke will just need to hear your voice sometimes and that's great too. I posted on here the day BB called and said she was quitting as a freshman. That was a tough time. Then, you'll also get to enjoy all of the success. Those times will last forever.

crankermo, there will come times when you are at your wits end. You know so many people here that can talk you through those times. Don't forget that. Good luck to Brooke.

May 9, 2014
Another thing I wish I knew was softball isn't about the all mighty scholarship, it's about spending time with your kid/kids and watching them smile. So when people say to you, " I can't believe you spend that much money and time on softball when you could've paid for college with that money", you just tell them I spent my money & my time on my kid/kids so they would know that they are loved..

LOVE this!

It seems to me that only one leg of your journey is over. Brooke has been able to see just what lengths you will go to to help her reach her goals. As she matures and goes through REAL life challenges, she knows exactly who she can trust to give her the best coaching for those as well. Good luck with the REST of your journey.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Crankermo - As my DD heads down the road in her own journey in this game, a lot of what you have shared of Brooke's journey serves as a guide for us. Thank you for being as open as you have been about her development, her successes, and your mistakes during the process. As CB said, I hope you continue to post of DFP and share the things you have learned about being a guide for your DD.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22