Ouch…

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I am not going hypothesize what caused the injury, it could be a number of things. What I will say generally is that S&C coaches should be individualizing their training programs dependent on a number of factors including build. For some builds (long legs, shorter upper torso) something like a leg press may be a better choice than a squat if you are trying to push weight.

Dec 11, 2010
This kind of hits home for me.

My older dd was in the fall of her junior year when she had to medically retire as a result of a life altering back injury.

She was finally headed for significant playing time. She had gutted out the toughest part and put up with the foolishness. She loved softball, unlike so many of the other players on the team. It was a tough time for her. It will be tough for these players too. I feel bad for them.

Dec 11, 2010
Should have clarified!

She was a 2016 hs grad. She is married and in grad school now! All is well but I feel for the folks who haven’t found their way through. My wife and I didn’t know how much it was bothering her until after.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Definitely is a stretch - that’s why I stated that “I wonder” and “I’m taking a stab in the dark…”

Not saying it’s the cause - but often have wondered if too much weight/reps can cause hip/knee issues in young women.

Can imagine if they are not meticulous about their form issues can quickly arise.

Don't think it's a stretch at all. I've seen and heard about players I know doing things in a weight room that tell me they're really going to regret doing that. It's probably even worse in places like OU's weight room. Lifting is great, but I see too many girls acting like they're going for the Olympics in the squat and dead lift. Lifting heavy can be tough on guys over time, but female knees and hips aren't built for that at all. Not only are they risking their playing career, there will probably be a bill to pay later.

Seen a few "medical retirements" lately from different schools and sports. I wonder how frequent it is in college softball.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
This kind of hits home for me.

My older dd was in the fall of her junior year when she had to medically retire as a result of a life altering back injury.

She was finally headed for significant playing time. She had gutted out the toughest part and put up with the foolishness. She loved softball, unlike so many of the other players on the team. It was a tough time for her. It will be tough for these players too. I feel bad for them.
Strength and conditioning coaches need to be certified and preferably have a degree. More is not always better. And males and females are different.

Dec 11, 2010
Strength and conditioning coaches need to be certified and preferably have a degree. More is not always better. And males and females are different.
The s&c coach in this case was a former body builder who had a heart attack at a very young age.

I don’t know what his quals were.

They moved him along a year or two after dd retired. Many injuries.

Younger DD’s team has very few injuries that seem related to improper s&c.

Some teams seem to have a lack of fitness, some seem to have eternally sore players.

Pay attention to your kids at school. Even though we felt it was out of our hands and she was being looked after, we should have noticed her icing her back after every game and or practice we picked her up from. That’s on us.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
This is interesting and one of the private HS S & C coaches in So Cal uses it. The way he uses it, is player can't move to a higher weight unless they reach a certain velo with lighter weight. So, for example, player is not allowed to try benching 180 lbs. until they can bench 170 at a certain velo. Its pretty cool stuff. I talked to the guy, and he seemed very confident about his program.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Look at it like this - hip labrum tears don’t typically happen from one specific incident (unless there was direct trauma). Usually it occurs and worsens over time, so that is why I’m wondering if all the weight training had an effect. Or maybe - was it overuse during pitching? Something that someone in medical academia might want to study for young athletes.

Again, it was just a thought that crossed my mind.

You could be right.

I'm still not sure what caused my torn hip labrum (but I was 36). I actually think it was an injury from ice skating 7-8 years earlier that just got worse and worse (without me knowing because I never had pain) until one day I couldn't really run anymore.

It could just be pitching. We don't necessarily have to call it overuse. It could just be doing it over and over again. Some bodies can handle certain repetitive actions more than others. Maybe she had a slight mechanical inefficiency that led to it. Maybe it was overuse.

I don't know that weight training would affect the labrum. It's not a muscle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee