OTF HR. Coach hugs baserunner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
Related - had a kid called out for high fiving the first base coach a few years ago. Called it assistance. Everyone was upset... both coaches, parents etc... lol..

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Ah yes, you right about that kind of assistance on a dead ball HR Marriard, what about the example I gave above?

While this is not specifically covered in the rule book, there is a relevant case ruling which applies (and provides basically an exception to this rule to allow for a HR celebration), And you can't carry your own runner - that is clear assistance.

ART. 6 . . . Only the batter, runner(s), on-deck batter, coaches in the coach's box, bat/ball shaggers or one of the nine players on defense (S.P. 10) are permitted to be outside the designated dugout/bench or designated warm-up areas. (3-5-7)
NOTE: Bench personnel are permitted to engage in throwing and running activities during the one minute designated for the pitcher to throw her five warm-up pitches at the beginning of each half inning.

Case ruling:
3.6.6 SITUATION G:
B1 hits an out-of-the-park home run. As she touches third base, her team comes out of the dugout to congratulate her.
RULING: Legal, but bench personnel cannot obstruct the umpire’s view of B1 touching home plate. All bench personnel should remain behind the umpire and the batter’s boxes to ensure an unobstructed view of players touching the plate.

PENALTY: (Arts. 2 through 10) The umpire shall issue a team warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be restricted to the dugout/bench for the remainder of the game.

Aug 25, 2019
Right Marriard!...While I do agree with you about about the carrying part, I don't think you would penalize of kick out the coach if the team ran out onto the filed around the bases, you probably give a warning, because there is that word again "should"...different from "shall"

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Right Marriard!...While I do agree with you about about the carrying part, I don't think you would penalize of kick out the coach if the team ran out onto the filed around the bases, you probably give a warning, because there is that word again "should"...different from "shall"

Immediate warning to any idiot on the field to leave the field - "Get off the field NOW". Then benchings and quickly ejections if they did not immediately comply. You have a sanctioned HR celebration in the case book - use that. Don't be an idiot. I am not having morons running around the field.

I am going to try to manage it first - but if they don't want to be managed that is going to be an issue real quick.

Rule wise: 3.6.13
ART. 13 . . . Unsporting acts shall not be committed, including, but not limited to:
a. use of words or actions to incite or try to incite spectators to demonstrate.
b. use of profanity, intimidation and/or deceitful tactics, baiting or taunting; or
NOTE: The NFHS disapproves of any form of taunting which is intended or designed to embarrass, ridicule or demean others under any circumstances, including race, religion, gender or national origin.
c. behavior in any manner not in accordance with the spirit of fair play.
PENALTY: (Arts. 11 through 16) The umpire shall eject the offender from the game, unless the offense is judged to be of a minor nature. If minor, the umpire may warn the offender and eject if the offense is repeated (Art. 13). For coaches who violate, the umpire may restrict the offender to bench/dugout for the remainder of the game, or eject the offender.

I will repeat again because we are discussing ejections - I have yet to eject anyone from a softball game so fortunately these scenarios are always either exceedingly rare or just hypothietical. In all my games it has never got that far (some coaches have got close though).

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I don’t care what the rule book says. Don't care what the situation is. Hugging players is weird 99% of the time. Showing love or affection for athletic excellence is goofy and sounds the wrong tone. Act like a professional.

Parents hug players, not coaches. Brothers and sisters hug players, not coaches. Coaches coach. Coaches who coach well know their players are going to perform. Act like you knew she was going to perform not like it was some miracle. Jeez, act like you have been there before. It’s a fricking hr just like the other 86 she has hit.

Stepping down from my soapbox now.

Jun 8, 2016
I don’t care what the rule book says. Don't care what the situation is. Hugging players is weird 99% of the time. Showing love or affection for athletic excellence is goofy and sounds the wrong tone. Act like a professional.

Parents hug players, not coaches. Brothers and sisters hug players, not coaches. Coaches coach. Coaches who coach well know their players are going to perform. Act like you knew she was going to perform not like it was some miracle. Jeez, it’s a fricking hr just like the other 86 she has hit.

Stepping down from my soapbox now.
Not sure anybody has said otherwise... 😉

Jun 22, 2019
Any team that leaves the dugout and enters the field to run the bases after an HR better strap up tight when they get in the box next time....you will get HBP 100%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802