OTF HR. Coach hugs baserunner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Ok umps and rules people. This question came up in a thread no UMP has read and it’s gotten almost heated.

On an OTF home run. Batter/runner is rounding third and the coach gives her a hug. Is the batter out?

If yes does this hug count as assisting the runner?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
No she is not out.

And any umpire who calls it is out is an idiot. And any coach complaining about this is also an idiot.

For there to be an assistance call - there actually has to be assistance.

I have seen some dumb things on home runs - most involve having to run the bases legally still: We had a runner pass another.... out. We had an actual assistance call at 3B - the coach pushed his runner back to 3rd to tag up if the ball didn't clear the fence... so she was out and as it was the third out, the run didn't score (it would have otherwise).

Seen missed bases... only ever had the one appeal on that though (that was an unpopular call I had to make). Avoiding reacting to the missed base when I see it is some of the best acting I do.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
Say Marriard. in same thread It was discussed if a OTF HR is a dead ball or not, I say it was, therefore all the hugging and assisting and nonsense is allowed, what say you?

May 29, 2015
Yes, it is a dead ball. It is not “all bets are off” though. As @marriard said, baserunners still have legal obligations.

About the only way I can see “assistance” on a home run is a coach pushing a runner back to a missed bag OR the player blowing out a knee or ankle and needing help around the bases. And you still aren’t getting an out call from me on the latter ... maybe even not on the former.

My less professional response: any idiot who wants an out on these things is an idiot who should not be coaching. Get your kids away from them. You can quote me on that in the heated thread.

Aug 25, 2019
Let me ask you TMIB, since a HR is a dead ball, can a team run out onto the field, run around the bases with the hitter, even carry the hitter as long as she touches the bases in order?......You've probably never seen it, it isn't done, shouldn't be done (big difference between "shouldn't" and "shall not") but is there a rule in a rulebook against it?......I looked, I haven't found one. The rule says no assistance on live ball, nothing about dead ball.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Say Marriard. in same thread It was discussed if a OTF HR is a dead ball or not, I say it was, therefore all the hugging and assisting and nonsense is allowed, what say you?

The rules are clear. The ball is dead when it goes over the fence on an OTF. The ball has to be dead as it is no longer in the field of play - and clearly the area beyond the outfield fence is not part of the field of play. No different to any other out of play area in terms of the ball being dead.

But lets be clear - actual assistance is still in play even though the ball is dead. For example - if the coach pushed the home run hitter back or grabbed her as she went passed because they saw she missed third base and they wanted her to go back to touch it - that is actual assistance and it should be called as such. That is totally different to a high five or a hug ot any other congratulatory thing.

Here is a case study that specifically says the ball is dead once it is over the fence that is 100% relevant. There are lots of other references as well - but this was one I had open already because of the original questions.

3.5.4 SITUATION B:
R1 is on third with no one out. B2 hits a towering fly ball to right field. While the ball is in flight, the third-base coach pushes R1 back toward third base. The ball clears the fence for a home run.
RULING: The ball becomes dead when it goes over the fence. R1 is out for being assisted. B2 is permitted to score on the home run unless R1 was the third out, then no run could score. (2-32, 8-6-5, 9-1-1 EXCEPTION f)

Aug 25, 2019
Ah yes, you right about that kind of assistance on a dead ball HR Marriard, what about the example I gave above?

Oct 14, 2016
My question is this: Why does the coach have to congratulate the player prior to her being called safe?

Example of what I mean is: B1 hits an easy single and is on her way to first base, as she passes the first base coach, he/she extends a hand for a simple passby touch (low five) before she reaches first base and is safe. Why not wait till she returns to the bag for the congratulatory touch.

In the example this stems from, why can't the third base coach walk their a$$ down to home plate and congratulate the batter after she touches home.

I get the excitement factor, but finish the play first. There is no reason a coach should have to touch a player before the play has finished. Dead Ball Home Runs are not officially over until the ball is returned to the circle and no appeal is going to be made.

Jun 4, 2014
Let me ask you TMIB, since a HR is a dead ball, can a team run out onto the field, run around the bases with the hitter, even carry the hitter as long as she touches the bases in order?......You've probably never seen it, it isn't done, shouldn't be done (big difference between "shouldn't" and "shall not") but is there a rule in a rulebook against it?......I looked, I haven't found one. The rule says no assistance on live ball, nothing about dead ball.

As long as it's the opposing team carrying the batter

Oct 14, 2016
Sometimes, the best solution is to avoid a situation that can be misconstrued. Hence the implied proceedure of the offensive team not entering the field of play until the batter touches home plate to celebrate.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28