OPTIC YELLOW UNIFORMS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Depends on the code ...

I cannot find anything in NFHS that would allow it. Unless there is an old case play (not in the current book) out there that I am not finding.

USA Softball and USSSA expressly do allow it (USA Rules Supplement 41 -- Pitcher's Uniform; USSSA 6.1.I.2) as long as it is "flesh colored" or a "neutral color" AND actually covering an injury.

Aug 21, 2008
before the yellow balls, everyone played with white balls. Men's fastpitch still uses white balls. But even back when EVERYONE used white balls, there was no restrictions on white uniforms, why would there be for yellow uniforms? It's already been mentioned there are rules about colors on gloves, wristbands, etc. but not on actual uniforms. And even SOME of that is up the umpires discretion about whether it's a distraction. While the majority of umps just say "play ball" there are some who will have pitchers remove items even before the other team complains.

May 29, 2015
I do give "my" pitchers a good visual check while they are warming up. This gives me an opportunity to see what they are wearing, what their motions and tendencies are, and head off any potential problems before we get started.

Things I am looking for:
  • jewelry -- and yes, if it is on your wrist it is a bracelet. I don't care if it is string or rubber bands or hair ties.
  • optic yellow on the glove
  • appropriate play card and sleeves (if appropriate)
  • sunglasses (non-mirrored)
  • any other distractions (towels, fingernails, etc.). That doesn't mean they are necessarily illegal, but things that I want to be aware of.
Actions I am looking for:
  • pitching motion
  • release
  • wind-up
  • timing and rhythm (which may not be the same when it is time to pitch)
  • tendencies/habits between pitches

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Niece Team played against a clown pinching, her replant was a bigger Issue. Looked like a clown wish I video.

Unfortunately I understand jewelry , sunglasses comment caught my eye.

If DD has wrong sunglass would you tell her to take them off or not pitch?

Feb 7, 2014
I walked by a field yesterday where a college team had on yellow socks, yellow pants, and yellow jerseys that all matched the color of the optic yellow ball.

Time for a rule change.

There's no logical way that that is not used to be an illusion and an advantage on the field.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
All the normal sanctions don't have a rule against optic yellow uniforms.

However Little League actually DOES HAVE A rule against Optic Yellow. Or at least they used back when our local rec league was part of LL. I haven't had to deal with LL in quite a few years.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I walked by a field yesterday where a college team had on yellow socks, yellow pants, and yellow jerseys that all matched the color of the optic yellow ball.

Time for a rule change.

There's no logical way that that is not used to be an illusion and an advantage on the field.
I think that would be a disadvantage; players wearing them would be too self-conscience to focus on playing.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Ijewelry -- and yes, if it is on your wrist it is a bracelet. I don't care if it is string or rubber bands or hair ties.
  • optic yellow on the glove
  • appropriate play card and sleeves (if appropriate)
  • sunglasses (non-mirrored)
  • any other distractions (towels, fingernails, etc.). That doesn't mean they are necessarily illegal, but things that I want to be aware of.

Aside, what is the advantage of mirrored sunglasses? My daughter wears them as she has light sensitive eyes. Only once was she told to remove them in all of her years of playing. Had to squint for 7 innings. Never understood that.