Opinions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

I see some things. Just wondering what everyone sees. Looking for more speed of course. She is a work in progress, only her third year. Played 10u,Covid cancelled second year of 10u. Played last year at 12u and now second year 12u.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
She needs to improve her arm action and employ more FSR, overall very good. I don't know what it is about the palm up finish but even when I get a girl to start using IR that finish wants to stay in there. I am starting to think it is genetically hardwired into the system. While you could say that the finish doesn't really matter because the ball has already been released I think that it gets reverse engineered into the release. She gets on top of the ball too early and pushes into release, this hurts her velocity. The lack of FSR is connected to the action of pushing the ball, having a soft front leg is one way to keep the ball from going too high. There a couple of things that I try when it comes to changing the release. I use 'glove whips' (vs glove snaps), this is basically an elongated version of 'lock it in' with emphasis on the hand turning over after release. When they can do it into the glove then I ask them to just move the glove out of the way and use the same action into a net or fence. Then I go to an arm circle into the glove with the same emphasis on turning the hand over. To do this she will have make a smaller ball circle which also helps. Then we move the glove out of the way and throw into a net or fence. Then full motion with a small ball circle with an emphasis on whipping and turning the hand over. The other thing that has worked is to try and throw a rollover drop. Trying to put top spin on the ball by coming over the top causes the hand to rollover. Even if they don't really get the right spin the task of coming 'over the ball' often has the effect of changing the palm up finish.

Aug 20, 2017
Looks pretty good Shawn. I agree with Whip on the push into release. Got to figure out how to loosen that arm up. Looks fairly stiff. Wet noodle. Hillhouse que of “whip the elbow” could help some. When the arm is relaxed you will notice that the ball will turn palm up for a split second before release (between 9 and 6 o’clock). Drive mechanics look good. She naturally allows the arm circle to get her open. I’d bet she throws a lot of strikes.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
She needs to improve her arm action and employ more FSR, overall very good. I don't know what it is about the palm up finish but even when I get a girl to start using IR that finish wants to stay in there. I am starting to think it is genetically hardwired into the system. While you could say that the finish doesn't really matter because the ball has already been released I think that it gets reverse engineered into the release. She gets on top of the ball too early and pushes into release, this hurts her velocity. The lack of FSR is connected to the action of pushing the ball, having a soft front leg is one way to keep the ball from going too high. There a couple of things that I try when it comes to changing the release. I use 'glove whips' (vs glove snaps), this is basically an elongated version of 'lock it in' with emphasis on the hand turning over after release. When they can do it into the glove then I ask them to just move the glove out of the way and use the same action into a net or fence. Then I go to an arm circle into the glove with the same emphasis on turning the hand over. To do this she will have make a smaller ball circle which also helps. Then we move the glove out of the way and throw into a net or fence. Then full motion with a small ball circle with an emphasis on whipping and turning the hand over. The other thing that has worked is to try and throw a rollover drop. Trying to put top spin on the ball by coming over the top causes the hand to rollover. Even if they don't really get the right spin the task of coming 'over the ball' often has the effect of changing the palm up finish.

Thank you I see the same things. She knows when she stands up on the front side. To much weight forward. This is actually a little better and we need to work on FSR.

Her arm action and release is to tight.

Lots of good thoughts.

She started throwing 32 mph. This is her third year, so just 2 years of experience.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Looks pretty good Shawn. I agree with Whip on the push into release. Got to figure out how to loosen that arm up. Looks fairly stiff. Wet noodle. Hillhouse que of “whip the elbow” could help some. When the arm is relaxed you will notice that the ball will turn palm up for a split second before release (between 9 and 6 o’clock). Drive mechanics look good. She naturally allows the arm circle to get her open. I’d bet she throws a lot of strikes.

She has very good location, even on the curve. Change is usually decent, you know change ups their a little schizophrenic at times.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

I think She improved. Radar gun showed it.

I think the FSR can still improve. She was walking through some pitches, nasty old habit.

It looks like there is better scap pinch and deeper flex. The arm looks a little more bent deeper into the arm action. The arm looks a little more relaxed.

I used 2 light balls, 4 and 5 ounce to work on help work on speed. Using a radar. It’s harder to muscle a lighter ball. You don’t have apply as much force. I think she is on her way.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The drag foot seems to be an issue. My daughter went through the same thing, and it caused two issues.

1) It slowed her forward momentum down.
2) It caused her to come around her pitches, meaning her arm was less a pure circle than an ellipse. This caused loss of velocity and accuracy.

Once we cured that issue, her speed jumped about 8-9 MPH and accuracy improved significantly. Mind you, it took a good eight months before it all came together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12