Opinions on Taylor pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

I'll get a better pitch recorded next time.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
giphy.gif

I'll get a better pitch recorded next time.

Why a better pitch recorded? Under pressure we revert to our dominate habits...so if this is her dominate habit sharing/showing it is what you're going to get in game. It's that cage hitter or cage pitcher versus what happens during a game. During a game the dominate habits show up. So IMHO this video gives you real feedback as to what areas need work

Couple thoughts for you and it applies to your video of Tanner as well.

Jump into the I/R in the class room and IR thread in the pitching stickies. You'll probably hear the same thing from many others. There is so much GREAT instruction/information there for beginning to advanced pitchers.

You'll probably get some great suggestions from others more qualified than I. HOWEVER, I wish when my DD started pitching we'd been tuned into DFP and the IR threads. We would have saved ourselves a lot of heart ache and relearning. The journey has been grand...but if I had another DD that pitched our learning curve and proper pitching form/mechanics would have started out earlier.

It's winter time. I'd have her focus on the 9 o'clock drill and really focus on IR and body posture get that down solid and build from there.

GOOD LUCK!

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The next time we pitch and I see the ball go high I'm going to look for bending over to much and releasing it late. That is all I meant by filming a better pitch. She doesn't bend over on every pitch.

Thanks for the advice.

Sep 29, 2014
She looks like she is trying to stay tall and straight but she has a little bend over and really muscle they ball kinda vibe going on it looks like she is really forcing it, locked arm during arm circle as well.

Nov 18, 2015
Shawn,

I'm sure you're well aware of the sticky threads, which were already mentioned.

She goes palm down much too early. I think a contributing factor to this is how closed her shoulders and torso are throughout the motion. If she spends a little time focusing on throwing across the body (front shoulder more towards home plate), then her arm circle will allow her to stay palm-up for much longer. (See one of the recent threads that had showed the Japanese pitcher Ueno. The key parts are subtitled.) You can do a quick demo on yourself - you can't do a clean circle by bringing your hand up directly in front of you and trying to continue directly behind you - the shoulder socket isn't designed to do that. But do an arm circle by bringing your throwing hand up past your belly button, and you should find that the arm circle will be much smoother, and you can maintain a "palm up" position all the way down the backside of the circle.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Yeah I would have to agree with the other opinions. Really work her IR drills and keep that ball facing up then out much longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, after looking at video I see their not IR ing well, not whipping the lower arm. They need to work on the sequence and not get the ball ahead of the elbow. I was looking for some areas for speed increase, after seeing these and what others have said I see where they can increase their speed. I wasn't impressed with their speed after the first time measuring it the Pocket radar, 32 to 35. I think they should be at 40 at least. And I think that is achievable.

Goes to show you how important video can be, last year I didn't have a good video source.

I already have some drills to do from the IR thread.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
She looks like she is trying to stay tall and straight but she has a little bend over and really muscle they ball kinda vibe going on it looks like she is really forcing it, locked arm during arm circle as well.

Yes she needs alot of work on whipping and sequence. I was looking for a speed increase and I see how that can be achieved with a better sequence/arm action.

Nov 8, 2018
Yes, after looking at video I see their not IR ing well, not whipping the lower arm. They need to work on the sequence and not get the ball ahead of the elbow. I was looking for some areas for speed increase, after seeing these and what others have said I see where they can increase their speed. I wasn't impressed with their speed after the first time measuring it the Pocket radar, 32 to 35. I think they should be at 40 at least. And I think that is achievable.

Goes to show you how important video can be, last year I didn't have a good video source.

I already have some drills to do from the IR thread.

Yup. It can be a tough concept having that ball lag behind the arm. Once they find the whip their speed will jump. It will be an ah ha moment. Good luck. Post again when you see improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 9, 2019
Tanner and Taylor have very similar styles.. must have the same teacher :)
With that said, for Taylor, I'd say she needs to try to let her lower body carry her torso forward. Basically want to keep her nose further back than her belly and stride leg. She also does what my DD often does which is lean into the pitch on release, kind of like Ueno, which I don't know if I'd say is a terrible thing or not, but you definitely want to get taller once you land.

Arm whip issue is similar to Tanner as other's have mentioned, need to work on palm up, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee