Opinion of custom mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

DD is going to get a new mitt for Christmas. I'm probably going to order a custom Rawlings HoH. I'm looking for opinions to the following: https://softballfans.gloves.custom.rawlings.com/design/44ae5c10.
Basically I'm looking at doing one in black and tan but am open to other options as well. And besides we need more glove threads! Of course I'll post pics of it when it comes in, just no pretty Z/28 to plop it on. :)

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Good looking mitt! I know that stock model comes with Rawling’s Dual Core palm. Do they give an option of using their regular HOH leather for the palm? I would prefer a single thick piece of leather in the palm of that’s an option.

I'm sure ANNASDAD can offer more information than I can. The most commonly used leather appears to be Japanese Tanned. Some of the colors like Timberglaze use Pull-Up leather. There is also a black on the custom builder that's Oiled Horween.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Good looking mitt! I know that stock model comes with Rawling’s Dual Core palm. Do they give an option of using their regular HOH leather for the palm? I would prefer a single thick piece of leather in the palm of that’s an option.

The customs that Travis is looking at is Japanese tanned (Jtan) true HOH leather, NOT Dual Core!

On the builder there’s 2 different blacks, there was 3 but it looks like they’ve removed the Horween Featherlight, which was the Dual Core leather.

One is listed as just “Black” which is dry black, that’s the black leather on my custom NP6 pictured above.

Then there’s the Horween Black Oiled, which is a heavier more oil infused leather. I’ve never owned this leather before but I’ve heard from some that it’s tough and wears like iron, and heard from others it gets soft too fast, much faster than the dry black.

I went back and forth a hundred times on which black for that NP6, I ultimately decided on the dry cause I like stiffer gloves and didn’t want to take a chance on it getting floppy too fast although I’m sure the oiled would have been fine. Neither are nowhere as stiff as tan Horween!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee