Opinion...coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Just curious if you coaches would do this. In a tough game against an A level team where the pitcher on the opposing team is striking just about everyone out; down by several runs; 2 outs and time already up...
put in a girl to hit that has been sitting the bench the entire game? Of course it's my DD (she had a 500 on base average the day before), so...
Good call trying to get something going, or bad call because the others had already had a couple up at bats? My DD struck out also and after said how stressful it was. We told her it is good mental training and she always has to be ready to go, etc...
Thanks

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Not enough information to judge that it was a bad call. I trust that the coach had his or her reasons. But that's not worth discussing, IMO.

The real issue is whether it's better to be in the arena, win or lose, than sit the bench. That's a huge choice in life, not just softball.

In the words of Lee Ann Womack ...

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Game was already over, so why not?

It is a much more interesting question if the game is 1-0 with two out, but if you are down by several runs, it isn't going to matter.

May 6, 2012
Texas
Personally I like it. I mean its a roll of the dice call and one of two things are gonna happen she does as the other have been or she is able to hit. From coaching stand point I see it as an advantage to the batter, because the batter has seen the pitcher the whole game and this pitcher has not seen this batter so her nor her coach know whats to expect from the batter.

Apr 9, 2012
DD was hot the day before. Nothing was working so you go with a potential clutch player.

I see it as a compliment to your daughters hitting the previious day.

May 11, 2009
The key to the situation is keeping your DD's spirits up. To be called upon in that situation means the coach has full faith in her. My DD is an 8th grader playing varsity for her HS team. She is in a DH and PH roll only. She was put into her first varsity game in the 9th inning, yeah 9th inning, with 2 outs and the tying run, her sister, on third and winning run on second. She hit a line drive through the 3 - 4 gap scoring two for the win. She was so happy. But last night we were down by one in the top of the seventh she is brought in again to PH with two out and the tying run on third. She hit a dribbler to the SS and was thrown out to end the game. She was upset but she did not let it get to her. She told me after the game that she can't wait to play that team again because she will get them next time.
That is the mentality that we need to have to succeed. I tell my DD's to hit it hard and let the defense make a play. If they do good for them but if we hit it hard we have done our job.
Keep her mentally strong and she will succeed!!
Good luck

Oct 10, 2011
Thanks everyone for the responses. I was just curious because one of the parents came over and said they thought it was a bad decision to put her in that situation. We didn't complain or anything, nor did my daughter. We told her that the coach did it because he had confidence that she could get something done. He did the same thing later in the day, but the third out happened before she got the chance to bat (runner thrown out stealing).
It was a good weekend and she did get more playing time (you've heard my whining on other posts). The assistant coach said she made the best defensive play when she caught a fly ball in deep left field and threw out a runner at home that tagged up. Everyone stood up and cheered. I think the patience is starting to work out. Thanks again for listening.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It was a good learning experience for your DD! Being a pinch hitter coming off the bench 'cold' is very difficult to do, but I saw it several times this past weekend in the super regionals of the CWS! Just be glad it was not a bases loaded, two out situation with your DD needing to get a hit to tie the game! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45