Open tryout for Talladega College

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2012
Title: Talladega College Softball Tryouts

Talladega College is hosting open tryouts for 2012-2013 College Softball Team.

All participants wanting to try out must have graduated by 2012.

All Junior College players Welcome.

The tryouts will be Wednesday July 25th from 5-7pm at

Talladega Recreational Complex
Talladega, Alabama

Please contact Coach C J Combs at charleejanell@hotmail.com or 812-225-6044 for any additional information and if you plan to attend.

Oct 19, 2009
I don’t know about Talladega, but some information I was advised by one of my daughter’s teammates who is going to play ball at Gadsden State in Alabama, her dad advised me of this. The state of Alabama was cutting their budget and softball and tennis was to be cut at many of the smaller colleges. Then some of the small colleges received a reprieve for one year and Gadsden State was one of the schools that received a reprieve for the softball and tennis program for that one year.

Most of the team had transferred to other schools and they had not recruited any players for the 2012 - - 2013 year. GS had to hustle to try and get players to fill the roster for the upcoming season. The girl who was my daughter’s teammate receive a full ride scholarship, her family is of modest means and having a full ride was important to her and her family. My daughter’s teammate is a good player and should do well in at GS and had offers at several small schools.

This maybe the same situation at Talladega, for someone who wants to play some college ball it’s an opportunity.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
College Athletics | Unigo

Proposed Alabama school budget contains cuts - TimesDaily.com

While the budget reduces spending on most functions of education for next year, it would give a $2.2 million, or 26 percent, increase to education programs for prisoners. Pittman said the governor recommended that and the committee agreed because the state is strapped for money to operate prisons.

What the hell is going on, cut children's educational funds and raise funds for prisoner education? Lord help us all.

Mar 13, 2010
It's not cutting children's education, it's cutting adult's educational funds. For sports. That article also mentioned running prisons, not the education for prisoners.

Oct 19, 2009
A lot of the prisons and jails have different mandates and guidelines made by the courts. Officals have no choice other than to meet these mandates. It is easier to cut school funding than funding for prisons and jails.

Having said that, the school system in our area is good as school systems go, but the superintendant hires a lot of administrative staff which I think are unnecessary. This staffs go to conferences in luxury resorts which cost the school system a lot of money. Their main purpose is to juggle the books to make the superintendant and the schools look good and meet the minimum requirements for student education. Trimming the fat in school systems is not always a bad thing as long as things like above are trimmed, it’s when students education and sports, which I consider an extension of the class room, are cut I disagree with.:mad:

A side note, Alabama brought back the chain gangs in 1995 and a year and a half later the courts mandated the end of the chain gangs.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
It's not cutting children's education

With the changes, K-12 schools would get 1.6 percent less than this year,

That article also mentioned running prisons, not the education for prisoners.

While the budget reduces spending on most functions of education for next year, it would give a $2.2 million, or 26 percent, increase to education programs for prisoners.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00