One year later - Any progress?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
She is striding with her front leg, not the back.

She coils OUT as she strides, not INWARD. MLB hitters coil their hips and shoulders inward 30-45 deg AND hold it until an inch or two before they land.

Every kid in America needs to learn this. Dads, if you're reading this, this is the NUMBER ONE thing to learn.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
This will be harder to explain to her, but I think I understand the point, especially with the videos later.

Thank you, again!!

Notice the first part of this progression. He uses a constraint to create a feel. Try the drill using only the upper body to hit the ball. Especially from your dds hand set. She should feel herself moving from the middle to hit the ball. Some guidance will be needed. Dont let her use her hands initially. IOW Let the counter rotation create the swing. Once mastered, move onto the second progression.

if that doesn’t work, you can use a pvc on top of the shoulders extended across. No bat. Ask for a load, stride. Should help her feel herself moving from the middle.

with anything you should try it yourself so you can better explain it.

what you are looking for is counter rotation of the core and ‘gaining ground’ before the stride goes.

Jan 8, 2019

Notice the first part of this progression. He uses a constraint to create a feel. Try the drill using only the upper body to hit the ball. Especially from your dds hand set. She should feel herself moving from the middle to hit the ball. Some guidance will be needed. Dont let her use her hands initially. IOW Let the counter rotation create the swing. Once mastered, move onto the second progression.

Except for the upper half only sequencing, which I have not done much but will add, this sounds a LOT like me getting each kid ready for their tee work, especially newcomers. I even try to get them to set the ball up the same way every time so that the seams are facing the catcher like this >> ) ( That way, they can see the lower inside quadrant a little better. I really like the sequencing part of this. Also, a reminder that it doesn't have to be a full bucket on every step along the way (something I am guilty of at times).

if that doesn’t work, you can use a pvc on top of the shoulders extended across. No bat. Ask for a load, stride. Should help her feel herself moving from the middle.

with anything you should try it yourself so you can better explain it.

what you are looking for is counter rotation of the core and ‘gaining ground’ before the stride goes.

Last video is what I really needed to see for the hip coil. Now I can see that easily.

Jul 31, 2019
FFS has been banned from DFP for a while.

The first thing I see is an arm-powered swing disconnected from her torso. I would like to see her pull back into her scap and hold that tension as the torso gets rotated.

Learning about using a hand pivot point will also help her...

This video is great! How do I save it?

Oct 4, 2018
I like everything I see. What I would like to see more of is bat speed. It’s probably due to her concentrating on hitting whiffles but I would like to see her explode through the zone and punish the ball.

Agreed. It doesn't look like she's swinging hard. Swing looks nice, but just 75%. Was that part of the drill?

May 12, 2016
Engage the core. There is a lot of talk about the bottom half (legs). But I would love to see the core engaged more. Love looking at the no striders to see how the core is engaged

Checks a swing earlier in his bat, but you can see the full swing at the 20 second mark

Really good example here

Hips twist/coil during forward move (leading with the rear butt cheek cue), back foot/heel remains anchored until front foot heel plant. Body is completely torqued and ready to unravel when go time. Thing of beauty, effortless, bat flies through the zone.

Jan 8, 2019
Agreed. It doesn't look like she's swinging hard. Swing looks nice, but just 75%. Was that part of the drill?
Nope. She is really just that calculating, methodical and deliberate (risk adverse is probably a better description). Had a camp coach yelling at her to "Explode!" That was our up-to-bat key word reminder for a while, but it sort of lost its effectivity. This has worked very well for her when she is behind in the count, makes contact most of the time, especially on 0-2 count, she is money. However, I'm certain it has limited her power output and taken away many extra base hits (balls that get to the OF, but do not power past the fielders).

Jan 8, 2019
Engage the core. There is a lot of talk about the bottom half (legs). But I would love to see the core engaged more. Love looking at the no striders to see how the core is engaged

Checks a swing earlier in his bat, but you can see the full swing at the 20 second mark

Really good example here

Hips twist/coil during forward move (leading with the rear butt cheek cue), back foot/heel remains anchored until front foot heel plant. Body is completely torqued and ready to unravel when go time. Thing of beauty, effortless, bat flies through the zone.

Thanks, Julray. I'll share these w DD. Very easy to see in these vids!

Oct 4, 2018
Nope. She is really just that calculating, methodical and deliberate (risk adverse is probably a better description). Had a camp coach yelling at her to "Explode!" That was our up-to-bat key word reminder for a while, but it sort of lost its effectivity. This has worked very well for her when she is behind in the count, makes contact most of the time, especially on 0-2 count, she is money. However, I'm certain it has limited her power output and taken away many extra base hits (balls that get to the OF, but do not power past the fielders).

Interesting. I like her philosophy as it applies to other things in life. If that makes sense.

Perhaps as she learns that the first strike (or two) are hers and she can swing hard and miss and still protect with 2 strikes...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802