One year later - Any progress?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Agree that she is still pushing a bit but it is really hard not to push if you are not creating much stretch in the core. I would work on that first and then see where she is at with regards barrel path.

Its hard like you said if your not creating much a stretch or are unloading the stretch early

Jan 8, 2019
FFS has been banned from DFP for a while.
Tongue in cheek. I knew, this, but last time we posted was when he was in prime form, and I was even more of a noob than I still am. So, it felt weird not having a dissertation from him.

The first thing I see is an arm-powered swing disconnected from her torso. I would like to see her pull back into her scap and hold that tension as the torso gets rotated.

Learning about using a hand pivot point will also help her...

I saw you post this vid on another thread not long ago, and realized I was explaining scap load to DD incorrectly. Thankfully, she ended up doing more of what felt right than what I told her to do, otherwise she would probably be a mess! I'll have her watch it a few times after I do, too.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I saw you post this vid on another thread not long ago, and realized I was explaining scap load to DD incorrectly. Thankfully, she ended up doing more of what felt right than what I told her to do, otherwise she would probably be a mess! I'll have her watch it a few times after I do, too.

Keep in mind that the scap does not get loaded in order to unload. It is not a pull back/push forward action.

Jan 8, 2019
Couple things at toe touch it does look like she has a lean back versus more balanced athletic stance and also has her hands are in really close, others disagree on separation but even the people on the opposite end of the spectrum probably would agree with your hands at least being just at or behind your back shoulder, your DD actually had her hands between the back of her head and inside shoulder so about at her collar bone.

Also as others have said she looks very passive maybe it's just because it whiffle balls?

Finally she does still have the "pushy knob to" type action going on; start working on turning the barrel the video recommendation above is good her is another one that explains what we mean.

Thanks, DJ!

Yes, that makes sense to me. As I mentioned, I think I messed her up on scap load explanation, and I could see that contributing to hand location at toe touch. Per other comments, I am wondering if getting her more aggressive will help with the lean back.

No, unfortunately, it is not a whiffle factor. She has been pretty laid back fairly consistently. So, need to work on that. Like @pattar and @Eric F (and others) have mentioned, she needs "to have the intent to do damage."

Thank you for the input!!!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Oh yeah I need my PVC pipe. Need to buy a piece tomorrow.

I find it helps hitters learn how to feel what ‘stable’ is into foot down. Not losing the tension created during the ‘load’ of the swing. Basically holding onto the stretch.

If one can move from the middle and move to stride instead of stride to move. That’s most of the battle. Most kids compensate with the lower half pushing from the back leg or striding from the front leg. Or in this hitters case, pushing from the pelvis.

once this is fixed it gets so much easier to create a good pattern.

Jan 8, 2019
I find it helps hitters learn how to feel what ‘stable’ is into foot down. Not losing the tension created during the ‘load’ of the swing. Basically holding onto the stretch.

If one can move from the middle and move to stride instead of stride to move. That’s most of the battle. Most kids compensate with the lower half pushing from the back leg or striding from the front leg. Or in this hitters case, pushing from the pelvis.

once this is fixed it gets so much easier to create a good pattern.

This will be harder to explain to her, but I think I understand the point, especially with the videos later.

Thank you, again!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28