One year later - Any progress?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2019
Pretty close to a year ago, we posted a swing eval request and received a LOT of good advice from many of you! It was ALL appreciated, and we tried to incorporate it as much as possible. So here we are a year later with yet another new Mizuno PC (33/23) with special thanks to @CoreSoftball20 again! She loves the bat even more than last year's, and is really getting to understand and learn from the feedback it gives her.

She is still pushing a bit, but not nearly as bad as last year. She is leaving her stride open still (stepping in the bucket a little), but not a ton (she has now heard this from me and a D1 coach, so it is starting to actually get corrected. And still trying to get a bit more scap load. (As someone mentioned last year, she looks like she just needs to hit harder.)

Edit: Forgot to mention that they are pitching her whiffles.

Please offer up any ideas for improvements, and any drills you think might help!

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Pretty close to a year ago, we posted a swing eval request and received a LOT of good advice from many of you! It was ALL appreciated, and we tried to incorporate it as much as possible. So here we are a year later with yet another new Mizuno PC (33/23) with special thanks to @CoreSoftball20 again! She loves the bat even more than last year's, and is really getting to understand and learn from the feedback it gives her.

She is still pushing a bit, but not nearly as bad as last year. She is leaving her stride open still (stepping in the bucket a little), but not a ton (she has now heard this from me and a D1 coach, so it is starting to actually get corrected. And still trying to get a bit more scap load. (As someone mentioned last year, she looks like she just needs to hit harder.)

Please offer up any ideas for improvements, and any drills you think might help!

Im sure others might offer more. From my observation it she seems to be trying to power everything with the arms instead of the lower half. If you look at her gather. Its mainly just a rock and and go sort of approach. IMO she needs to coil around the back leg/hip as she strides. This will cause separation. Then we she fires at launch her lower half will be powering the swing instead of just the arms.

6:53 mark in video below.

Apr 28, 2019

I like everything I see. What I would like to see more of is bat speed. It’s probably due to her concentrating on hitting whiffles but I would like to see her explode through the zone and punish the ball.

Apr 28, 2019

Jan 8, 2019
I like everything I see. What I would like to see more of is bat speed. It’s probably due to her concentrating on hitting whiffles but I would like to see her explode through the zone and punish the ball.

Yes! This has also been an ongoing discussion, as well. Wish it were only due to the whiffles. It's sometimes like she's stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear, and really needs to find that next level.

Apr 28, 2019
5'7" and still going. (13 yo)
Ok so 5’ 7” and growing 33” is good length. Any idea on her weight? 110 120 maybe?
I get what your saying on stuck in 2nd 3rd gear. One of my DD’s has a vicious swing but will give me half effort sometimes during tee work.
She can ramp-it up when she wants to but I think she just likes to try my patience or lack there of.

Jan 8, 2019
Ok so 5’ 7” and growing 33” is good length. Any idea on her weight? 110 120 maybe
120+. She has some powerful legs if she were to engage them more...
She used a 32/21 last year, and was overswinging it a lot, so, instead of bumping up to the 32/22, I thought she was ready for the 33/23.

I get what your saying on stuck in 2nd 3rd gear. One of my DD’s has a vicious swing but will give me half effort sometimes during tee work.
She can ramp-it up when she wants to but I think she just likes to try my patience or lack there of.
I'm just not sure she trusts herself at the higher power. She doesn't adjust her trigger, so she swings early, then goes back to less power for sure contact. It is at least partially a confidence thing, but also just needs more reps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802