One swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I think there are factors involved in pitch location and timing. You can hit an inside pitch by turning the barrel/rotating into the ball, letting the ball come right into your swing. There isn’t a need for extension.

That’s just one example and I also think you are correct Eric.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
One swing will cover the strike zone. Yes, for sure. Of course, you may tilt your spine up or down for extreme high/low.

The biggest problem is when people try to change their swing for down/out locations. If you have ever used a hitting stick, you will quickly realize that the forearms and the bat are plenty long enough to reach any pitch at the far down/out corner of the strike zone.

Almost everyone tries to throw their back elbow away from the body, and even bend their knees for outside and down pitches. A hitting stick will prove this to even 6 yr olds in a few swings.

Now, of course, some people think they need a new swing for neck-high pitches. And they waste time swinging. Their problem is they need to NOT swing at all (I'm looking at all you riseball swing-and-missers):).

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
One swing will cover the strike zone. Yes, for sure. Of course, you may tilt your spine up or down for extreme high/low.

The biggest problem is when people try to change their swing for down/out locations. If you have ever used a hitting stick, you will quickly realize that the forearms and the bat are plenty long enough to reach any pitch at the far down/out corner of the strike zone.

Almost everyone tries to throw their back elbow away from the body, and even bend their knees for outside and down pitches. A hitting stick will prove this to even 6 yr olds in a few swings.

Now, of course, some people think they need a new swing for neck-high pitches. And they waste time swinging. Their problem is they need to NOT swing at all (I'm looking at all you riseball swing-and-missers):).
Agreed, 1 swing, let tilt and posture dictate pitch location.

Sep 19, 2018
This question is one of those things that happen a lot with hitting but not so much with pitching. People who don't like a term take or idea take it exactly word for word to a T without any logical thought. Like they are trying to NOT understand what is meant. Then argue the point with ridiculous examples. Of course swinging in the EXACT same spot every time without regard to location or speed is not going to be productive.

Watch Manny and Jeter hit. Manny's adjustments are virtually imperceptible to the untrained eye. My dd won't be able to say anything more than, "He swung at a low pitch" or some such. But, I don't doubt she'll see the difference in Jeters swing when he collapses his hands and rolls over to get out in front. Of course he is making adjustments on the fly. You do what you gotta do. But somehow, you rarely see Manny's swings be soooo vastly different.

I am a Yankee fan (Live in NY) so I got to watch Jeter 140 times a year or so. And I only watched Manny 20-25 times a year. So I am sure someone might say watch Manny enough and you'll see it.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Mechanics should not change. What will change is degree of tilt and the distance between your hands and your body. A senior member at another site would refer to it as lengthening or shortening the arms.