One hand or two hand finish?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD (15yo) will release her right hand sometimes, but generally-speaking, her best swings and biggest hits are when she keeps both hands on the bat through her finish.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Great extension to the pitcher (y). When she lets go with left hand its time to start running.

Attachments

• Hitter-3.jpg
    Hitter-3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 18

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Two hands making contact and barrell threw zone to point at the pitcher.
( point at pitcher "i got you!")
Barrell follows the ball.
Top hand controls barrell.
Thats the swing.
Finish is after.

20160706_102530-1.jpg
This 'was' a riseball. ;)

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Add
Top hand on contact and follow through also important because helps driving barrell to power threw the spin on pitch.

radness

Dec 13, 2019

Careful on this one Softball players.
Throwing the bat into the infield, or direction of the ball can be called an out.
Umpire call is interference =out.
It is a batters responsibilty to control the bat.
Especially noted for lefty run hit/slappers, need to drop bat after contact rather than allow bat to follow the ball into the infield.
Cannot let the bat trail after the ball.
Interference out!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Careful on this one Softball players.
Throwing the bat into the infield, or direction of the ball can be called an out.
Umpire call is interference =out.
It is a batters responsibilty to control the bat.
Especially noted for lefty run hit/slappers, need to drop bat after contact rather than allow bat to follow the ball into the infield.
Cannot let the bat trail after the ball.
Interference out!

No one is advocating throwing the bat at the ball. The video is an example that the hands holding the bat at contact don't make a difference. For a baseball and baseball bat, this has also been proven in a physics lab. For softball, with a heavier ball, and a lighter bat, I'm not sure the equation is the same, especially on hits off the sweet-spot.

Once the ball is long gone, releasing the top hand makes no difference to the quality of contact...UNLESS it's releasing due to upstream issues in the swing. What I have seen with my DD is that a releasing top hand (even after contact) often means that she isn't getting her back side through properly, and it affects her power.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
No one is advocating throwing the bat at the ball. The video is an example that the hands holding the bat at contact don't make a difference. For a baseball and baseball bat, this has also been proven in a physics lab. For softball, with a heavier ball, and a lighter bat, I'm not sure the equation is the same, especially on hits off the sweet-spot.

Once the ball is long gone, releasing the top hand makes no difference to the quality of contact...UNLESS it's releasing due to upstream issues in the swing. What I have seen with my DD is that a releasing top hand (even after contact) often means that she isn't getting her back side through properly, and it affects her power.
All i posted was be careful....attached to a video of a bat being thrown into the infield ;) !!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478