One hand or two hand finish?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2014
DD does a one hand flip thing. I see some hitters finish with 2 hands on the bat. Is it batter preference or is there an advantage to one?

[video]https://youtu.be/QP16b2sUZvQ[/video]

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD does a one hand flip thing. I see some hitters finish with 2 hands on the bat. Is it batter preference or is there an advantage to one?

[video]https://youtu.be/QP16b2sUZvQ[/video]

Once my DD started letting go with her right hand on the finish the ball started going farther. But in this video I don't see her getting full lower body rotation. If you let go too early, I feel as though the swing tends to finish early as well. With my DD when she held on with both hands, the bat seemed to just fold around her body and I could see there was power dissipation. If the player is swinger really hard, letting go of the bat should happen almost naturally. This is my opinion, but as GM stated it is a matter of preference for the player.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The finish is a personal preference, but I would guard against releasing the hand too early. DD tried a one handed finish and she was releasing early and her front shoulder was flying open like she was posing to watch a monster HR, when in reality she just struck out swinging...AGAIN!

Sep 29, 2014
Style choice in my opinion, although I think at some point most will let go because becomes kind of unnatural to have your hand hang onto the bat through the entire follow through; although lots of people hang on all the way too.

May 12, 2014
Great feedback everyone.....Jad, that was my initial concern with "One" hand.....letting go too early. For example, if DD takes 10 swings she may let go too early on 2-3 of them.

May 12, 2014
Here is more.....but these are the only swings I have since she started back to softball work (still has basketball going). Keep in mind this is with a 30 oz wooden bat. Just wanted to make sure she wasn't "giving up" the swing too soon.

Jul 26, 2016
Once my DD started letting go with her right hand on the finish the ball started going farther. But in this video I don't see her getting full lower body rotation. If you let go too early, I feel as though the swing tends to finish early as well. With my DD when she held on with both hands, the bat seemed to just fold around her body and I could see there was power dissipation. If the player is swinger really hard, letting go of the bat should happen almost naturally. This is my opinion, but as GM stated it is a matter of preference for the player.

I actually think that if everything is ideal a one handed finish is better but if a Player hits the ball a lot farther or harder with one Hand that is usually a sign of an incomplete or late turn. for younger hitters I prefer two handed because it Forces to finish Rotation all the way if you want to hit with any power.

most pro Players seem to release but the two guys who lead MLB in HRs in the last 3 seasons (Cruz and encarnacion) both finish two handed. at the very least I would occasionally practice two handed, if the Player doesn't come within 2-3 mph of Exit Speed with the two handed finish there might be something wrong with mechanics, especially Magnitude and Timing of turn.

https://baseballrebellion.com/gabedimock/should-you-finish-your-swing-with-one-hand-or-two/

Jan 28, 2020
bumping this as i was thinking about this today...seems like younger 10s and 12s should be encouraged to finish two handed to ensure complete swing and they are more capable/flexible of physically doing it that way without an effect on their metrics.

i do like the idea of using metrics to identify if one hand finish is a crutch to other poor swing mechanics that domink discussed.

as far as eye test i think one hand finish looks incomplete but can see how you may be able to get snappier with more bat speed that way. may help dissipate energy too but that has to be after contact. not an issue with other hitters with massive bat speed.

two hand finish looks cleaner and more pure to me all day everyday but metrics and results should dictate.

bottom line it doesn't sound like there is a universal answer for this. would like to hear some other opinions from this decade :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee