One day tourneys

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Love this concept and wish there were more of them. Eight (or 6) teams, 3 game guarantee. Five game max. Hour 30, no new. Start at 8 am and home by 7 pm if you play in the championship game. No hotels, no long game breaks. Five games is a lot but you are not going to the championship game every time. Probably have to use all your pitchers which is good for them. And its only ONE DAY!!!!! Maybe we could have a BBQ or go bowling or go to the beach or go to a movie or go to the mall on saturday. After practice of course.

Jun 8, 2016
They have quite a few of these here in OK but DD's coach doesn't like them for some reason.

Oct 4, 2018
We only do 1-day tournaments here in the Atlanta area. There are plenty of 2-day, but there are more 1-day and that's what we do. As much as we love the game, I need some weekend time not at the fields.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Whenever we've done these tournaments and played well, it winds up being a 16 hour day. Play at 8 AM and then (because of various delays-weather, OT in the previous game) the championship game is not played until 10 PM or later. We played in (and won) one where we had to start an International Tiebreaker for the championship after 1 AM. If they keep the tournament small, these can work well, but there's no room for error or delays.

Oct 27, 2017
The majority of tournaments we play (GA) are 1 day. If you make the ship, it turns into a really long day. Especially if you are playing 1-2 hours from home.

May 29, 2015
Whenever we've done these tournaments and played well, it winds up being a 16 hour day. Play at 8 AM and then (because of various delays-weather, OT in the previous game) the championship game is not played until 10 PM or later. We played in (and won) one where we had to start an International Tiebreaker for the championship after 1 AM. If they keep the tournament small, these can work well, but there's no room for error or delays.

That part in particular. I think one of the biggest problems with tournaments in this area is that they are trying to cram in as many teams as possible. Set your target number of teams and CUT IT OFF once you reach that number.

It allows you to better manage things and if you do a good job, it creates demand and interest in your tournament.

Oct 4, 2018
I love one days. I don't care if it's a long day because I have all day Sunday to recover. Those early morning Sunday games after playing most of the day Saturday are awful.

The worst. My mood, my energy level, my enthusiasm... always so much lower Sunday morning than Saturday.

Feb 17, 2014
There definitely needs to be more of these. In fact, if I was a TD I would try to do more of these in the fall. 10u & 12U on Saturday, 14u, 16u/18u on Sunday. Just play 3 game round robins.

One of the things I've really liked about DD getting to recruiting age are the team camps where they go play 2 games on a college campus. We've done 3 of these so far and they have been enjoyable. Some colleges will have a camp for 2-3 hours in the morning then games all afternoon. One school is even having 2 days where you can play 3 games each day.

The real issue here, IMO, is people know all of us crazy parents are out here trying to get DD a scholarship. They are capitalizing on it. I have seen the quality of many tournaments go down because TDs are trying to squeeze as many teams in them as they can for the money.

When DD started, all tournaments were 75 minute games. Now most of the local stuff is 60 minutes drop dead in pool play and they get 2-3 more game slots in per day which leads to getting more teams in. They lower the price by $15 and think they are doing everyone a favor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28