Once a check swing has been ruled a swing by the plate umpire, can that decision be changed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Just as a discussion point~

If there are two or more umpires.
Batter does some bat movement'ish...
No swing called.
Player/Coach asks plate Ump
Can we 'check' with other Ump?
And plate umpire says No.

👉Why play with more than just the one plate umpire~

(didnt add a question mark cuzzz mmm its really its own retoricle statement)
For discussion... :)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
.Screenshot_2021-07-11-07-14-04-1.png
Grrr dont need no stinking back-up....

Sunday morning fun

Mar 1, 2013
My “favorite” is when I’m working alone (usually a rec youth league) and defense coach says, “I think she went, blue” after calling a ball. I’ll point to the first base coach and ask, “did she swing?” Usually gets a laugh. Almost always will the coach say, “ No swing”. Only once did the coach actually say she swung. I said, “ok - strike”.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
More on checked swings:

1) Did the batter break her wrists
2) Did the barrel pass the front edge of the plate
3) can the base umpire see the end cap clearly

None of these determines if it is a checked swing or not, the rule states, did the batter make an attempt to hit the ball.

1) If the bat is off the batter's shoulder, she intended to make an attempt to hit the ball. ((wow, why am I so sarcastic tonight? must have been something that happened at the ball park))

Since we are being “sharky” …

1.) Gosh, I hope not. I mean, I know calling a strike on momma’s delicate flower is going to break her heart (and thus drive her to a life of drugs and rock’n’roll since she won’t get a D1 full ride now) … but I don’t want to have to deal with a girl who is going to spend the next 8-10 weeks in casts.

2.) Barrel? Heck, we can’t tell when the ball does! How am I supposed to know that?

3.) End cap? No, but I can see a night cap at the end.

Attempt — While I don’t use it, I love that argument. The definition doesn’t say when the attempt starts or ends, so yeah, a checked swing is definitely an attempt at some point. (Since we are at it, if you square to hunt and the bat it is out there, it’s an attempt. Those other rules are just screwed up.)

May 29, 2015
Uhhh ... in recent umpiring theory, you can "unfair/unfoul" a batted ball. I just don't recommend it.

2nBc.gif

Jul 22, 2015
You cannot "unstrike" a pitch or "unfoul/unfair" a batted ball
"Unfair" is easy enough. I'd rather let it be called fair and play out, then make it foul if necessary. But if it was a strike, it's a strike. If it was foul, it stays that way.

May 6, 2015
My “favorite” is when I’m working alone (usually a rec youth league) and defense coach says, “I think she went, blue” after calling a ball. I’ll point to the first base coach and ask, “did she swing?” Usually gets a laugh. Almost always will the coach say, “ No swing”. Only once did the coach actually say she swung. I said, “ok - strike”.

bet it was his DD!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee