Olympics 2021

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
I'm not suggesting a 6 team double elim. But the format changed from 2008 to this year. Currently, 2 of the 6 teams will have traveled around the world to play 5 games. The others get 1 more. 6 games, for all that money... all that time training. I'm all for the RR, but maybe a double RR before the top 2 are announced? I don't know. I just think 5 or 6 games is small.

It also doesn’t do enough to award pitching deapth in my opinion, you should not be able to ride one pitcher all the way to a gold medal round. I feel that is an issue with the sport at lower levels as well, but thats a separate conversation.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It also doesn’t do enough to award pitching deapth in my opinion, you should not be able to ride one pitcher all the way to a gold medal round. I feel that is an issue with the sport at lower levels as well, but thats a separate conversation.
Great point!

Feb 20, 2020

That's one of the downfalls (?) of both of the diamond sports. In a limited season/sample, one player can completely dominate and make the others inconsequential. Both sports need the multiple games aspect in order to minimize the affects of a single player. Or, in this case, two.

Maybe that's why cricket has such big bats.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I fully understand why there's no fans. I fully understand why they are playing on a lack luster baseball field that isn't pleasing to the eye. I do NOT understand why they changed the format of the tournament to only 1 game vs. each opponent then into the medal games. To me, that shows they softball seems to be an after thought to whomever changed the tournament. I realize it's the Olympics and every game should matter but, sometimes neat things happen in bracket play when it's do or die games.

You are basically correct. Maybe not an after-thought - but certainly not a focus.

The reality is that softball is NOT really back in the Olympics but is there because the host country supported its inclusion. It is part of the IOC's stupid system of which sports are and are not in - based on a complex procedure most likely driven by various forms of hidden bribery. If you are not in the 'core sports/old-boy networks' category, you are always going to be at risk - and there are basically 25 core sports and only 3 'additional sports. So softball is fighting for basically 1 of 3 spots every Olympics.

Softball is compromised by not being a core sport and not a concern of a vast majority of participating Olympic committees (which is why so much effort has gone into game development in Europe to make the world competition closer). Basically, the IOC views is that any additional sport should just be grateful to be included and be happy with what they get and the sooner they can get it done with, the better.

It is why in 2024 there wont be softball/baseball in the Olympics. France isn't interested. MAYBE it gets back in for 2028 and 2032 as the USA/Australia are countries that could push for inclusion - the USA more than Australia (Australia will be HEAVILY pressured into including rugby or cricket and it is unlikely they will be able to get two team sports in)

May 29, 2015
@RADcatcher ... odd question ... what do you think of Mexico's catcher, Sashel Palacios? I just watched the Mexico/Canada game last night (recorded) and noticed her "unique" catching style. At first, I thought she looked like a little kid whose gear didn't fit right (not because of her size, but because of the way she moved).

After watching a bit, I really liked her style. I appreciate that she really was working to try to control her pitchers (that two -second pause ... love the rule, but it is a bit odd). I LOVED that she relies on glove speed and moving her hands quickly. Many pitches she did not provide a target until the pitcher was about to deliver (I think too many catchers give away pitch locations or lose their own balance by making extreme shifts).

... and I might have developed a little bit of a softball crush. :giggle:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
@RADcatcher ... odd question ... what do you think of Mexico's catcher, Sashel Palacios? I just watched the Mexico/Canada game last night (recorded) and noticed her "unique" catching style. At first, I thought she looked like a little kid whose gear didn't fit right (not because of her size, but because of the way she moved).

After watching a bit, I really liked her style. I appreciate that she really was working to try to control her pitchers (that two -second pause ... love the rule, but it is a bit odd). I LOVED that she relies on glove speed and moving her hands quickly. Many pitches she did not provide a target until the pitcher was about to deliver (I think too many catchers give away pitch locations or lose their own balance by making extreme shifts).

... and I might have developed a little bit of a softball crush. :giggle:
Video of game/catcher please,
was probly watching Baywatch :)

...will do a search...

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Not much to see on here, but here is the 3-minute highlight reel from the game ...

Like you said, Not much to look at.
Thats the sqwuishy one knee down. Otherwise nothing notable stood out to me in that.

Which knee down sometimes it happens for catchers out of a instinct on a low pitch.
And/or apon transition into throwing.
However in set for pitch, do prefer using strength in both legs for defensive reasons.
Like that ball taking that huge bounce in front of plate.
Gotta get on it.
imo 3rd shouldnt get at that befor the catcher.

Catcher territory.
But hey maybe they only wanted 3rd to play bunts. Dont know.

Did notice and like the shortstop on that attempted steal staying down facing throw from catcher.
Throw was slightly off and in dirt.
Notice she dropped her left knee down.
(Body facing catcher for throw.
Not pre-positioned sideways facing runner-1st base side)

That is some mechanics i brought up in another thread about receiving throws. Discussion was at home.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28