Olympics 2021

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2015
Really?.......Then maybe the Mens USA soccer team should get a bunch of Brazilians, maybe then they can win a World Cup......

International teams made up of US-based athletes is very common in track and field where nearly all elite runners train in the US; some are in college, some are here just to train.

Aug 21, 2008
@Hillhouse I wanted to give your post a huge like, until you hit that last sentence. If it was sarcasm, let me know and I'll add the like.

Sorry, as a kid who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks and an adult who teaches in an impoverished school district surrounded by Southern wealth, I can't agree with the wealth inequality in our society being a good thing.

I really do appreciate that you are acknowledging that the "upper levels" of the game are not necessarily the best players, but the ones who have the wealth for resources.

About being blessed in the USA? That sarcasm? No way. Considering how much sarcasm I use, I can understand why you'd say that. But, that isn't something to be sarcastic about.

Jun 26, 2019
About being blessed in the USA? That sarcasm? No way. Considering how much sarcasm I use, I can understand why you'd say that. But, that isn't something to be sarcastic about.

I understand both sides of what you guys are saying about the US. Things here could be much better (I work for a school system as well) buuuuuuut…. In some countries neighborhoods like our poor, impoverished areas are the best it gets.
Back to softball and cost specifically, I will say this: travel ball and regular private lessons that many here on thos site seem to think is normal is cost prohibitive to far more kids than most here would ever think, I would dare say the vast majority of the kids in the us. If you were to look at household income of the highest level players, then compare that to average income it has to be well above average.

Jun 8, 2016
Or having Alo, Jennings, etc. bashing the ball. There isn't anyone under 20 who saw Osterman pitch in the WCWS.
With the limitation on roster size, Alo will have a hard time making the team as she isn't a great fielder. That said, and I know the pitching quality is probably better in Olympic play, but the way they are swinging the bats they could certainly use her..

Apr 20, 2015
Balsy play call in the 6th putting the go ahead run on first with intentional walk. Abbott comes through with K but wow....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
I would agree. Any growth in the sport is going to come from building the fan base at younger levels. Right now, the WCWS is the peak of the sport when it comes to fans. Those are the players that the younger people know. If you had Plain starting last night and being relieved in the 7th by Fouts or Alexander, you bring the younger viewers into the game. Or having Alo, Jennings, etc. bashing the ball. There isn't anyone under 20 who saw Osterman pitch in the WCWS.

My daughter (15 years old) and I were on the couch watching the White Sox game last night. When it ended, we flipped to the USA game. After an inning or so she quit watching and went to her room. She didn't know any of the players...

Side note: Yes, the field was a terrible look for TV. Not having fans kills the vibe too. Similar to watching MLB last summer. The all-red uniforms are horrible too. My daughter said they look like highlighters.
Whoever picked the unis and helmets needs to be let go.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478